Texas Tech University

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a handful of questions that most frequently arise. If you have a question that is not on this list, please feel free to email the International Exchange Student Coordinator (IESC), (bethany.kuwitzky@ttu.edu).

What is the difference between the nomination deadline and the application deadline?

The nomination deadline is the date in which your home university's exchange coordinator must nominate you to the IESC. The application deadline is the date in which you, the student, must have all documents turned into the IESC. This application deadline is usually a month after the nomination deadline.

How do I register for courses?

If you are a non-fee paying student (meaning you are paying tuition at your home university, and not here at Texas Tech), you will be automatically registered in your courses. If you are a fee-paying student, you can follow the instructions below:

  • Go to www.raiderlink.ttu.edu
  • Log in with your Eraider Username and Password
  • Go the tab labeled TTU MyTech
  • Under Manage My Enrollment, click on Registration
  • Click on Add or Drop Classes
  • Click on Register for Classes
  • Choose the term of which you are joining us (e.g. Fall 2016 TTU, or Fall 2016 Law)
  • Choose the courses by the course title (Civil Engineering, Math, Etc.)

Note: If you are getting an error in the top right hand side of your screen, please email bethany.kuwitzky@ttu.edu the screenshot of the error you are receiving!

What is the equivalent of ECTS to U.S. Credit Hours?

The general rule of thumb is 2.5 ECTS = 1 U.S. Credit Hour. To be considered full time as an undergraduate, you must been enrolled in 12 U.S. Credit Hours. This means you will be enrolled in 30 ECTS. If you are a graduate student, you must been enrolled in 9 U.S. Credit Hours, or 22.5 ECTS.

ECTS credit U.S. Credit Hour
2.5 1
7.5 3
22.5 9
30 12
37.5 15

How do I pay my bill (or pay for my on-campus accommodation)?

Log onto your Eraider account by going to www.raiderlink.ttu.edu and click on the MyTech tab. Under Manage My Finances click on Student Business Services. Click on eBill or click on International Payments if you will be paying from a foreign bank account.

When does the semester start and end?

The start and end dates of each semester differ by year. You can find the academic calendar by visiting Calendar link. Please note, you will be required to be here a few days-a week before the start of the semester for a mandatory orientation.

Can the proof of my financial support be a declaration from my parents/mentor/guardian?

Yes, however, you will need a signed affidavit from your parents (meaning the document has been notarized) stating that they will cover you for your entire time in the U.S.. You will also need to submit a print out of their bank statement (proving they have enough to cover you).

How do I only sign a 6-month lease for my on-campus accommodation?

There is no option to do this online. You will sign up for a 9-month lease (or academic year lease) and Bethany/IESC will alert the housing office.

Every time I try to register I get an error, why is this?

You are not automatically permitted into courses at Texas Tech. The majority of the courses offered need prerequisites and since the system cannot track the courses you have taken at your home institution, it shows you an error (usually prerequisite and test score error). Before you attempt to register for a course, you must let me know which course so that Bethany/IESC can contact the academic department and permit you.

Which meal plan do you suggest?

If you are living off campus and would like to have the option to eat on campus, Bethany/IESC suggest you get the commuter meal plan. If you don't enroll in this, you will be paying more for each meal when you eat on campus (you automatically get a discount for each purchase when you use a meal plan). If you are living on campus, it will really just depend on your eating style. Most students choose the smallest meal plan because you can always add more money to the plan if you ever run out.

My visa ends the day the semester ends, however I planned on traveling after the semester. How can I do this?

No worries, you are permitted to be in the U.S. for 30 days after the end date on your visa.

Can I work while I am a student at Texas Tech?

It depends. You are only legally allowed to work on campus and your job on campus must be related to the field of study that you are enrolled in. For more questions about this, please contact our J-1 immigration officer.

Can I travel out of the country in the middle of my program?

It depends on the type of visa you have but usually, yes. Before you leave, however, you will need a travel signature from our J-1 immigration officer. If you do not have this signature, it is likely you will not be let back into the country.

Can I submit my signature verification form by email?

No. Because this form is a legal document, it must be sent by post.