What to Expect of the UCC
Career planning can be an overwhelming process, complicated by many factors including self-perceptions, others' expectations, and the economy. The Career Center staff is available to help you through a variety of career-related services. Staff are trained to listen to you, help formulate goals based on your needs, and assist you in finding the best resources to meet those needs.
A Career Center staff member can help you:
|Discover your values, interests, skills and strengths||Develop decision-making, job-search, and interviewing skills|
|Explore majors and/or careers that might be a good fit||Write a resume or application documents|
|Understand obstacles which might hinder your career choices||Research specific career-related questions and find answers|
Before meeting with a Career Center staff member, take a few moments to consider the following questions. This will enable you to start thinking about what you would like to accomplish during your sessions. Your counselor can better assist you if you can articulate your career needs.
- What made you decide to visit the Career Center?
- What do you hope to accomplish during your first visit?
The information discussed during your appointment will remain confidential between you and the career center staff member. Exceptions to this confidentiality may be made only under the following circumstances: 1) you've experienced something that violates Title IX (sexual assault, harassment, domestic violence, stalking); 2) you disclose child or elder abuse.
The University Career Center is able to confirm attendance of an appointment for class assignments with the expressed permission of the student. Information discussed during the appointment will not be shared when confirming attendance.
Preparing for an Appointment
- Appointments are 30 - 60 minutes long.
- Notify the Career Center staff member if the appointment is a class assignment.
- The Career Center staff member is NOT your academic advisor and will not assist with course selection.
- Be ready to discuss your current major/career status and your thoughts/feelings about that status as well as your interests, experiences, and goals for the future.
- Be open to questions, feedback, and suggestions. The counselor will NOT tell you what job/major is best for you, but will give you more information to help you decide on your own.
- If working on a document in a face-to-face appointment, bring a printed or digital copy (on a flash drive/on your laptop computer). If your appointment is virtual, email your document to your counselor prior to your appointment. You can get the counselor's email address through Hire Red Raiders or by calling our front desk at (806) 742-2210.
- If possible, bring a copy of supporting information, such as a job description, internship posting, or essay prompts and guidelines.
- If you are scheduled for a virtual appointment, please avoid driving or participating in other activities that would distract from your conversation during your scheduled appointment time.
The University Career Center is committed to serving all students and alumni with their career needs. However, if an individual is determined to be misusing services or found to be misrepresenting themselves in the job search, appropriate action will be taken.
Login to your Hire Red Raiders account and schedule an appointment online. If you have any questions navigating the site, please call our office at (806) 742-2210.
The University Career Center encourages persons with disabilities to participate in our programs and activities. If you anticipate needing any type of accommodation or have questions about accessibility, please call 806-742-2210 in advance of your participation or visit.
Are you starting a full-time job? Have you been accepted into graduate school? Are you still deciding? The University Career Center (UCC) wants to know your post-grad plans! Report your Outcome!
Student Affairs COVID-19 Resources & Support
View information on a variety of resources that may be of interest to you as we navigate the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Hire Red Raiders
Get connected on Hire Red Raiders!
- Schedule an appointment
- Register for events and career fairs
- Search for jobs and internships
- View our resource library
UCC Contact Info
Phone: (806) 742-2210
Connect with Us!