Below is a list of public press and other articles, books, and peer-reviewed scientific articles written by or featuring TTU Climate Center affiliated faculty.
Featured Articles in Texas Tech Today
- Professor Katharine Hayhoe Named UN Champion of the Earth - Featuring Katharine Hayhoe
- Biology Researchers Studying Climate Change's Effect on Plants and Soil Microbes in Antarctica - Featuring Natasja van Gestel
- Communications Professor Devotes Life and Faith to Education of Sickle Cell Disease - Featuring Bolanle Olaniran
- Climate Researchers: No Simple Trigger for Soil Carbon 'Bomb' - Featuring Natasja van Gestel
- Sociology Faculty Member Wins Fulbright to Study Adaptations to Climate Change - Featuring Cristina Bradatan
- Professor Continues NSF-Funded Project Studying Engagement with Science Media - Featuring Asheley Landrum
Public Press Articles
- John Zak (Biology) - "Our Catholic Response and Responsibility to Climate Change"
- Ken Baake (English) - "The Key to Conversation May Lie in Our Language"
- Katharine Hayhoe (Political Science) - "Future Water Solutions"
- Andreas Karelas (2020). Climate Courage: How Tackling Climate Change Can Build Community, Transform the Economy, and Bridge the Political Divide in America. Foreword by Katharine Hayhoe.
- Rao Kotamarthi, Katharine Hayhoe, and others (2020). Downscaling Techniques for High-Resolution Climate Projections - From Global Change to Local Impacts. Cambridge University Press.
- Kiara Jorgenson and Alan G. Padgett (2020). Ecotheology: A Christian Conversation. Foreword by Katharine Hayhoe.
- Ayana Elizabeth Johnson and Katharine K. Wilkinson (2020) All We Can Save: Truth, Courage, and Solutions for the Climate Crisis. Includes writings by Katharine Hayhoe.
- Mark Stoll (2015). Inherit the Holy Mountain: Religion and the Rise of American Environmentalism. Oxford University Press.
- Brym MZ, Henry C, Lukashow-Moore SP, Henry BJ, van Gestel N, Kendall RJ (2020) Prevalence of monarch (Danaus plexippus) and queen (Danaus gilippus) butterflies in West Texas during the fall of 2018. BMC Ecology 20
- van Gestel N, Ducklow, HW, Bååth E (2020) Comparing temperature sensitivity of bacterial growth in Antarctic marine water and soil. Global Change Biology 26:2280-2291
- McIntyre NE, Collins SD, Heintzman LJ, Starr SM, van Gestel N. (2018) The challenge of assaying landscape connectivity in a changing world: A 27-year case study in the southern Great Plains playa network. Ecological Indicators 91:607-616
- Jung Hee, & Katharine Hayhoe. (2017). Observed and CMIP5 modeled influence of large-scale circulation on summer precipitation and drought in the South-Central United States. Climate Dynamics, 1-18. doi:10.1007/s00382-017-3534-z
- Jo Sias Daniel, Jennifer Jacobs, Heather Miller, Anne Stoner, et al. (2017). Climate change: potential impacts on frost–thaw conditions and seasonal load restriction timing for low-volume roadways.Road Materials and Pavement Design, 1-21. doi.org/10.1080/14680629.2017.1302355
- Bruce Hungate, Edward Barbier, Amy Ando, Samuel Marks, Peter Reich, Natasja van Gestel, et al. (2017). The economic value of species richness for carbon storage.Science Advances, 3:e1601880
- Rasika Ramesh, Gad Perry, Michael Farmer, Kerry L Griffis-Kyle. (2017). Limited Data Used to Make Valid Inference about Targeting Sites for Conservation: A Case Study in Urban Amphibian Ecology. Herpetological Review 48(1),1-5.
- Natasja van Gestel, Nirmala Dhungana, David Tissue, John Zak. (2016). Seasonal microbial and nutrient responses during a five-year reduction in the daily temperature range of soil in a Chihuahuan Desert ecosystem. Oecologia, 180:265-277. doi:10.1007/s00442-015-3452-x
- Afshin Pourmokhtarian, Charles T. Driscoll, John L. Campbell, Katharine Hayhoe, Anne M. K. Stoner, et al. (2016). Modeled ecohydrological responses to climate change at seven small watersheds in the northeastern United States. Global Change Biology, 23(2), 840-856. doi:10.1111/gcb.13444
- Nancy McIntyre, Joseph Drake, Kerry Griffis-Kyle. (2016). A connectivity and wildlife management conflict in isolated desert waters.Wildlife Management, 80(4), 655-666. doi:10.1002/jwmg.1059
- Shuo Wang, Guohe Huang, Brian Baetz. (2016). An Inexact Probabilistic–Possibilistic Optimization Framework for Flood Management in a Hybrid Uncertain Environment.IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 23(4), 897-908.
- Katharine Hayhoe, & Robert Kopp. (2016). What surprises lurk within the climate system? Environmental Research Letters, 11 (2016). doi:10.1088/1748-9326/11/12/120202
- Afshin Pourmokhtarian, Charles Driscoll, John Campbell, Katharine Hayhoe, Anne Stoner. (2016). The effects of climate downscaling technique and observational data set on modeled ecological responses. Ecological Applications, 26(5): 1321-1337. doi:10.1890/15-0745
- Rodica Gelca, Katharine Hayhoe, Ian Scott-Fleming, Caleb Crow, Dan Dawson, and Reynaldo Patino. (2015). Climate-water quality relationships in Texas reservoirs. Hydrol. Process. Hydrological Processes. doi:10.1002/hyp.10545
- Jung-Hee Ryu, Katharine Hayhoe. (2015). Regional and large-scale influences on seasonal to interdecadal variability in Caribbean surface air temperature in CMIP5 simulations.Climate Dynamics, 45(1), 455-475.
- Kerry Griffis-Kyle, Joseph Drake, Jeffery Jenness, Jordan Calvert. (2015). Testing a model for the prediction of isolated waters in the Sonoran Desert.Journal of Arid Environments, 118, 1-8.
- Yuanwei Qina, Xiangming Xiaoa, Jinwei Donga, Yuting Zhoua, Zhe Zhu, et al. (2015). Mapping paddy rice planting area in cold temperate climate region through analysis of time series Landsat 8 (OLI), Landsat 7 (ETM+) and MODIS imagery. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 105: 220-233.
- Sharmistha Swain, & Katharine Hayhoe. (2014). CMIP5 projected changes in spring and summer drought and wet conditions over North America.Climate Dynamics, 44: 2737-2750. doi:10.1007/s00382-014-2255-9
- Venkatesh Uddameri, Sreeram Singaraju, Annette Hernandez. (2014). Impacts of sea-level rise and urbanization on groundwater availability and sustainability of coastal communities in semi-arid South Texas.Environmental Earth Sciences, 71(6): 2503-2515. 10.1007/s12665-013-2904-z
- Kerry Griffis-Kyle, Jeffery Kovatch, and Cristina Bradatan. (2014). Water Quality: A hidden danger in anthropogenic desert catchments.Wildlife Society Bulletin. 38:148-151.
- Rodica Gelca, Katharine Hayhoe, Ian Scott-Fleming. (2014). Observed trends in air temperature, precipitation, and water quality for Texas reservoirs: 1960-2010.Texas Water Journal, 5(1).
- Michael Farmer, Aaron Benson, Xiaolan Liu, Marty Middleton. (2014). Feasibility of an Adaptable Biorefinery Platform: Addressing the Delivery Scale Dilemma under Drought Risk.Journal of Agricultural & Applied Economics 46(1):57-71. doi:10.1017/S1074070800000638
- Annette Hernandez, Venkatesh Uddameri. (2014). Standardized precipitation evaporation index (SPEI)-based drought assessment in semi-arid south Texas.Environmental Earth Sciences, 71(6), 2491-2501. doi: 10.1007/s12665-013-2897-7
- Nancy McIntyre, Christopher Wright, Sharmistha Swain, Katharine Hayhoe, Ganming Liu, Frank W Schwartz, and Geoffrey M Henebry. (2014). Climate forcing of wetland landscape connectivity in the Great Plains.Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. (2014) 12: 59–64.
- Ken Baake. (2013). The legacy of Charlie Flagg: narrative of drought and overcoming the monster in West Texas water policy debates.Texas Water Journal, 4(1), 78-92.
- Natasja van Gestel, Stephanie Reischke, Erland Bååth. (2013). Temperature sensitivity of bacterial growth in a hot desert soil with large temperature fluctuations.Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 65:180-185
- Cristina Bradatan. (2013). Where do we go from here? Climate change as a human affair.International Sociology, 28(5), 496-501. doi:10.1177/0268580913496914
- Natasja van Gestel, Dylan Schwilk, David Tissue, John Zak. (2011). Reductions in daily soil temperature variability increases soil microbial biomass C and decreases soil N availability in the Chihuahuan Desert: implications for ecosystem C and N fluxes.Global Change Biology, 17:3564-3576. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2011.02479.x
- John Zak, Colin Bell, Nancy McIntyre, et al. (2008). Soil Microbial Responses to Temporal Variations of Moisture and Temperature in the Chihuahuan Desert Grassland.Microbial Ecology, 56(1), 153-167.
AddressTexas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409 | Holden Hall Room 72