Expanded Outdoor Wi-Fi on TTU Campus
TTU IT Division staff have been working hard in planning and designing of the outdoor Wi-Fi access point installation at the locations that SGA and the Operations Division recommended, plus at some additional campus locations.
We have created an interactive map where you can see Wi-Fi access points already deployed and those in progress. From the map legend, you can turn on and off the Wi-Fi locations. Staff will update the map as Wi-Fi projects are completed and you should see more yellow markers turning to green. Collaborating with the Operations Division, we will add the outdoor class and study area locations to the map, and we will also be enhancing Wi-Fi signals for some indoor locations.
If you are connecting from one of these outdoor locations, please be mindful of social distancing and consider safety concerns. We would appreciate hearing about your experience using TTUnet wireless service around campus. With your feedback, we can help others find the best locations on campus. Please route any comments or concerns along with your location and experience to IT Help Central at (806) 742-4357 (HELP) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wi-Fi in Campus Parking Lots
Some parking lots on main TTU campus and remote campuses may provide usable Wi-Fi signals from nearby buildings. Parking areas which are near buildings with outdoor wireless service are listed below. These will likely provide the best connections:
- TTU Lubbock:
- R21 – North of Law School, spaces closest to Law School building
- R31 – West of Administrative Support Center, visitor parking
- Z4 – Directly east of Law School, spaces closest to Law School building
- TTU El Paso: South side of the building, where staff park (8 parking spaces)
- TTU Rockwall: Right side of the building near the TTU entrance, spanning the first two rows of parking closest to the building
- TTU Collin: Collin College has established free “Wi-Fi Drive-Ins” on the second floor of the
parking garages on the Frisco Campus (Preston Ridge) and the McKinney Campus (Central
- Drive-In spots will be available from 9 am – 5 pm Monday-Friday and 1 pm – 5 pm Saturday and Sunday
- Each Drive-In can handle up to 30 connections, and parking garages will be monitored to manage traffic flow
If you are connecting from one of these locations, please be mindful of social distancing, remain in your vehicle, and consider safety concerns. We would appreciate hearing about your experience using TTUnet wireless service around campus. With your feedback, we can help others find the best locations on campus. Please route any comments or concerns along with your location and experience to IT Help Central at (806) 742-4357 (HELP) or via email at email@example.com. Based on the feedback received, we will update the above list of parking lots with Wi-Fi signals.
Third-Party Internet Service Providers
In order to connect to Texas Tech University resources for online education or for working remotely, you must have an Internet connection. You do not need a second connection. If you don't have an Internet connection and would like to establish one, here is a list of options to consider. As with all contracts, you must read their agreements and understand before agreeing to their terms. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE CONTRACTS AND ANY ASSOCIATED COSTS.
Text from Suddenlink's website: "For households with K-12 and/or college students who may be displaced due to school closures and who do not currently have home internet access, we are offering our Altice Advantage 30 Mbps broadband solution for free for 60 days to any new customer household within our footprint."
- Charter Communications
- Xfinity (Comcast)
Texas Tech University does not endorse or recommend any of the vendors or solutions listed above. This communication is simply provided as a community service to find Internet connectivity resources quickly.
Be smart – before using any new business or service provider, you should investigate to be sure the business or service provider is legitimate, check for complaints, and verify references. Some consumer resources are listed below:
- South Plains Better Business Bureau
- State and Local Consumer Agencies in Texas
- Texas Attorney General Consumer Protection
If you have a smartphone, depending on the phone, carrier, and plan, you may have a tethering option as part of your data plan (usually for an additional fee) that allows you to connect a computing device via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. In this instance, be aware that your data plan limits will apply.
- General Overview: IT Resources for Remote Productivity
- eLearning: Emergency Transitioning to an Online Class
- Connecting to TTU Resources Remotely
- Tips for a Secure & Successful Online Learning, Teaching, or Working Experience
- Online Meetings and TTU Voice Service
- Online File Storage
- IT Security and Network Connectivity
- Internet Connectivity Options
- Email Access
- Technology Hardware
- Campus-Wide Communications
- Computer Labs for Students
- Obtaining IT Assistance
- TTU Emergency Communications Center
- TTU Presidential Memo: Coronavirus Update
- TTU Human Resources Memo: Coronavirus and Flu Prevention
- TTU VPR&I Memo: Modified Work Policy - Effect on Research
- TTU Student Health Services
- eLearning: Faculty & Staff Services
- TLPDC: COVID-19 Teaching Resources
- TTUS Risk Management
- TTUHSC Lubbock: Coronavirus
- EAB: Support your campus through the coronavirus crisis