Sindee Simon, Ph.D.
Texas Tech University
Department of Chemical Engineering
Box 43121 Lubbock, TX 79409-3121
Simon Research Group
Dr. Sindee Simon's Biography
Chair's Message January 2016
With the arrival of a new year, it is time to once again recount the successes of the past year and to develop goals and priorities for the coming year. The Department enjoyed a great 2015 and our top stories include the following:
- Enrollments continue to increase, with the department serving over 500 undergraduates and 86 graduate students. Forty-seven B.S. students graduated in May 2015, with an average starting salary of $ 74,000.
- Undergraduate and graduate student researchers received recognition for their efforts, including undergraduate poster prizes at the AIChE National Meeting and at the Gulf Coast Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Seven of our sixteen faculty members were honored for excellence in research and/or teaching:
- Drs. Chau-Chyun Chen and Sindee L. Simon received Fellowship in AIChE
- Dr. Harvinder Gill was awarded the Whitacre Endowed Chair in Science and Engineering
- Dr. Ronald Hedden was awarded the WCOE Lockheed-Martin Teaching Award
- Dr. Gregory B. McKenna was recipient of the University-level Barnie E. Rushing Jr. Faculty Distinguished Research Award
- Dr. Siva Vanapalli was awarded the WCOE Bill Sanderson Faculty Fellowship, as well as the Ed and Linda Whitacre Faculty Fellowship
- Dr. Brandon Weeks was awarded the University-level Spencer A. Wells Award for Creativity in Teaching
- The department maintained its stature as the top research department in the University with over $ 3.3 M in research expenditures in fiscal year 2014, the highest level per faculty member in the University for the second year running.
As many of you know, our vision is to be the undergraduate chemical engineering department of choice in the state of Texas and to be recognized as one of the top research and graduate chemical engineering departments in the nation. To that end, the department is beginning a new round of strategic planning and priority setting. I hope to share with you exciting new initiatives in the coming months to make our vision a reality. Please do not hesitate to stop by the department when you are in town to see me or to share your successes!
The very best of wishes for a safe, happy, healthy, and productive 2016,
Dr. Sindee Simon
P. W. Horn Professor
Whitacre Department Chair