Sindee Simon, Ph.D.
Welcome to Texas Tech Chemical Engineering. We are excited to be leaders in the University's quest to be one of the top public institutions in the nation and to provide our students with great opportunities to learn and grow. Enjoy going through our web pages to get the full story, but a few highlights from the past year are below:
- The $ 1 M Valero Chemical Engineering Experiential Learning Laboratory was built, providing more space and state-of-the-art equipment for teaching.
- The $ 1.2 M Morrow Energy Pilot Plant was delivered and will provide an industrial size distillation syste for the unit operation laboratory.
- The Chemical Engineering Mentor Program was initiated in Spring 2018 and boasted 91 matches between students and alumni in Fall 18.
- Our graduate students have garnered many awards, including Fulbright Scholar (Jennifer Hewitt), AIChE Div. 8B Biomaterials First Place Graduate Student Presentation (Ziye Dong), the NATAS Student Award (Nazam Sakib), and ASGSR Poster Competition winner (Taslim Anupom).
- The ChemE Car Team swept regionals winning the poster, safety, and car competitions.
- Our largest class of seniors, 85 strong, graduated in May 2018, with over 75 % having jobs at graduation and an average salary over $ 80,000! The class was led by College Flagbearer, Hattie Schunk.
- A record $ 9 M in new grants were received in 2018, with 11 of the 17 tenure-track or tenured faculty bringing in new funds, including a prestigious CAREER Award to Dr. Jeremy Marston.
- Faculty were recognized by a number of awards including ASEE Fellow (Dr. Chau-Chyun Chen), the Innovation Award at the Tech Connect Conference (Dr. Siva Vanapalli), GRC Outstanding Poster Presentation (Dr. Sheima Khatib), and several internal teaching and research awards (Drs. Wei Li, Marston, Khatib, and Vanapalli).
- Two new great hires were made. Welcome to new Professors, Drs. Madhi Malmali and Joshua Howe.
Please do not hesitate to get involved. Join the Chemical Engineering Academy and help us make our vision of excellence a reality. And, of course, do not hesitate to email me or stop by the department when you are in town!
Dr. Sindee Simon
P.W. Horn Professor
Whitacre Department Chair