Sindee Simon, Ph.D.
Texas Tech University
Department of Chemical Engineering
Box 43121 Lubbock, TX 79409-3121
Chair's Message February 2018
With the arrival of a new year, it is time once again to recount the successes of the past year and to develop priorities for the coming year. Our vision, of being the undergraduate chemical engineering department of choice in the state of Texas and being recognized as one of the top research and graduate chemical engineering departments in the nation, is progressing ever closer to being a reality, and we are leading the way for the University's quest to be one of the top public institutions in the nation. Exciting new initiatives for 2018 include the spring kick-off of the Chemical Engineering Mentor Program with over 60 alumni/student matches. With respect to our successes in the past year, a few are highlighted below:
- Enrollments continue to increase, with the department serving over 550 undergraduates and 79 Ph.D. students. Seventy-two B.S. students graduated in May 2017, and we expect eighty-five to graduate in May 2018.
- Undergraduate and graduate student researchers received recognition for their excellence, including the ChemE Car Team's award of Most Creative Drive System at the AIChE National Meeting.
- Valero donated $ 1 M to build the Experiential Learning Laboratory for the Department of Chemical Engineering; the new lab will greatly impact student learning and add considerable capability, both in terms of new teaching experiments and laboratory space.
- The department maintained its stature as one of the top research department in the University with nearly $ 3 M in research expenditures in fiscal year 2017.
- Seven of our seventeen faculty members were honored for excellence in research and/or
teaching in 2017:
- Dr. Greg McKenna received Fellowship in two professional societies, AAAS and NATAS.
- Dr. Harvinder Gill was awarded the 2016/17 Chancellor's Council Distinguished Research Award.
- Dr. Ronald Hedden was awarded the President's Excellence in Teach Award for exceptional teaching, mentoring, and advising.
- Dr. Wei Li was awarded the WCOE Whitacre Research Award for research growth.
- Dr. Sheima Khatib was awarded the WCOE George T. and Gladys Abell-Hanger Faculty Award for teaching; she also received a Texas Tech TLPDC Spotlight Award for her efforts to engage students and a Faculty Fellow in the STEM STEP program.
- Dr. Jeremy Marston won the WCOE Lockheed Martin Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Dr. Carla Lacerda was selected as Fellow for the Texas Tech Institute for Inclusive Excellence.
Please do not hesitate to get involved. Join the Chemical Engineering Academy and help us make our vision of excellence a reality. And, of course, do not hesitate to email me or stop by the department when you are in town!
The very best of wishes for a safe, happy, healthy, and productive 2018,
Dr. Sindee Simon
P.W. Horn Professor
Whitacre Department Chair