Sindee Simon, Ph.D.
Research Group Website:
Simon Research Group
Texas Tech University
Department of Chemical Engineering
Lubbock, TX 79409−3121
Dr. Sindee Simon's Biography
The advent of a new semester and a new year is a time for both reflection and planning. The past year, 2014, was an exciting year for the department, with a number of noteworthy achievements:
- The hires of Drs. Sheima Khatib, Jeremy Marston, and Nurxat Nuraje brings us to sixteen tenured or tenure-track faculty members
- Seven new grants were funded involving seven different faculty members with Dr. Vanapalli bringing in nearly $ 1 M of new funding
- Research expenditures from competitive sponsored projects topped $ 3 M, the highest level per faculty member in the University, with $ 4.8 M in total research expenditures
- A record-number of graduate degrees were awarded: twelve Ph.D. and five M.S. degrees, with Dr. Gill's Ph.D. student Yunzhe Ma winning the 2014 TTU Outstanding Dissertation Award
- Forty-four bachelor's degrees were awarded with average starting salary over $ 78,000
The department has considerable momentum towards being the top department in the University and towards obtaining national recognition for our excellent students, productive faculty, and successful alumni. Growth continues at both undergraduate and graduate levels, with 150 freshmen and 22 new graduate students arriving in Fall 2014. We also continue to make considerable infrastructure investments with new research laboratories coming on line and new equipment being purchased for the undergraduate laboratory, including gas absorption column and fluidized bed experiments supported by a generous gift from Phillips 66.
Please feel free to visit the department and learn more about our efforts and how you can contribute. And of course, I wish you all the very best of wishes for a happy, healthy, and productive 2015!
Dr. Sindee Simon
P. W. Horn Professor
Whitacre Department Chair in Chemical Engineering