Sindee Simon, Ph.D.
Texas Tech University
Department of Chemical Engineering
Box 43121 Lubbock, TX 79409-3121
Simon Research Group
Dr. Sindee Simon's Biography
Chair's Message May 2016
As the 2015/16 academic year winds down with finals almost over and graduation just around the corner, the department has some exciting news to share with alumni and friends. Our undergraduate and graduate students have garnered regional and national awards, and our faculty have been recognized for their excellence. The top stories include
- The AIChE Student Chapter had a good showing at regionals placing first in the Car Poster Competition and placing second in both the Car and Jeopardy competitions.
- Undergraduate Hattie Schunk received a prestigious Barry Goldwater scholarship.
- Prof. Chen and his graduate students' recently published a paper in the AIChE Journal that was designated a "Top Tier" contribution and noted as "Editor's Choice."
- Profs. Hedden and Lacerda received University-level teaching awards.
- Prof. Khatib received a DOE Visiting Faculty Award.
As many of you know, our vision is to be the undergraduate chemical engineering program of choice in the state and one of the top research and graduate programs in the nation. We are making strides towards these goals. In terms of the undergraduate program, the College, as a whole, is ranked eighth in the nation for Best Value Colleges for Engineering Majors, and our entrance requirements are now the same as University of Texas and Texas A&M. Our ChE graduates are very much in demand and getting great jobs, in spite of the tougher job market, and the department is continually making improvements to the program, including a planned major renovation of the undergraduate teaching laboratory. In terms of our research program and faculty scholarly activity, we are ranked 47 nationally out of 128 programs by Academic Analytics based on 2014 data. Given our upward trajectory, excellent young faculty, and new initiatives, I anticipate that we will continue to improve our standing. Please do not hesitate to stop by when you are in town to see the department and recent changes. Also, don't be shy about sharing your successes with us – we are proud of our alumni and would love to hear from you!
Best wishes for a happy and productive summer!
Dr. Sindee Simon
P.W. Horn Professor
Whitacre Department Chair