Sindee Simon, Ph.D.
Welcome to Texas Tech Chemical Engineering. We are excited to be leaders in the University's quest to be one of the top public institutions in the nation and to provide our students with great opportunities to learn and grow. Enjoy going through our web pages to get the full story, but a few highlights from the past year are below:
- A record eighty-four B.S. students graduated in May 2018! Kudos to these new alumni!
- Undergraduate and graduate student researchers received recognition for their excellence, including Ph.D. student Jennifer Hewitt winning a Fulbright and the ChemE Car Team's sweep in the poster, car, and safety competitions at Regionals.
- Valero donated $ 1 M to build the Experiential Learning Laboratory for the Department of Chemical Engineering; the new lab will open in fall 2018 and will greatly impact student learning and add considerable capability, both in terms of new teaching experiments and laboratory space.
- The department is maintaining its stature as one of the top research department in the University with over $ 2 M in new grants in FY18.
- Eight of our seventeen faculty members were honored for excellence in research and/or teaching in the past year:
- Dr. Jeremy Marston won a prestigious NSF CAREER Award.
- Dr. Siva Vanapalli and his previous student, Mizanur Rahman, won an Innovation Award at the Tech Connect Conference in Anaheim, CA, for their microfluidic technology used to study aging.
- Dr. Harvinder Gill was inducted into the National Academy of Inventors for his patents related to microneedles and pollen grains for drug and vaccine delivery.
- Dr. Greg McKenna received Fellowship in two professional societies, AAAS and NATAS.
- Dr. Wei Li was awarded the WCOE Whitacre Research Award for research growth.
- Dr. Sheima Khatib was awarded the WCOE George T. and Gladys Abell-Hanger Faculty Award for teaching; she also received a Texas Tech TLPDC Spotlight Award for her efforts to engage students and a Faculty Fellow in the STEM STEP program.
- Dr. Carla Lacerda was selected as Fellow for the Texas Tech Institute for Inclusive Excellence.
- Dr. Ronald Hedden was awarded the President's Excellence in Teach Award for exceptional teaching, mentoring, and advising.
Please do not hesitate to get involved. Join the Chemical Engineering Academy and help us make our vision of excellence a reality. And, of course, do not hesitate to email me or stop by the department when you are in town!
Dr. Sindee Simon
P.W. Horn Professor
Whitacre Department Chair