Sindee Simon, Ph.D.
Texas Tech University
Department of Chemical Engineering
Box 43121 Lubbock, TX 79409-3121
Simon Research Group
Dr. Sindee Simon's Biography
Chair's Message September 2016
The arrival of fall and a new academic year brings new students to campus and excitement in the air. It is a great time to be associated with the Department of Chemical Engineering, as we continue to build on our momentum in our quest to be recognized as one of the top chemical engineering departments in the nation. Recent news includes the following:
- Enrollments continue to increase, with the department serving over 500 undergraduates and 96 graduate students.
- A total of sixty-seven B.S. students graduated in May and August 2016. Although the job market is getting softer, over 80 % had jobs at graduation, with an average starting salary of $ 78,000.
- Student researchers and faculty continued to receive recognition for their excellence, including a first place award at the International Conference for Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry in August.
- The new Maddox Engineering Research Center officially opened in September and its state-of-the-art facilities will house the research groups of Drs. Chau-Chyun Chen and Nurxat Nuraje, as well as new hires in the area of energy and sustainability.
- The department maintained its stature as one of the top research department in the University with over $ 5.6 M in total research expenditures in fiscal year 2016 and the highest level of competitive federal expenditures per faculty member in the University for the third year running.
Scan our web sites for the latest stories, and of course, do not hesitate to stop by the department when you are in town to see me or to share your successes!
Dr. Sindee Simon
P.W. Horn Professor
Whitacre Department Chair