Department of Journalism
- I was so blessed to have received higher education in three different countries and realized my childhood dream of becoming a teacher. I love traveling, watching movies, and cooking Chinese food.
- My research areas include new media effects, political communication, international communication and communication theory, particularly agenda-setting theory. My current research focuses on the social and political impact of new media, digital media literacy, web credibility and online social capital.
Main Methodological Approaches
- Ph.D. Mass Communication, Indiana University, U.S.A.
- M.A. Mass Communication, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- B.A. English, Hunan University, China
- I previously worked as an assistant professor in the College of Journalism and Communication at Hunan University in China. I also taught as an associate instructor at Indiana University.
Publications in Last Five Years
- Luo, Y. (forthcoming). The Internet and Agenda Setting in China:The Influence of Online Public Opinion on Media Coverage and Government Policy. International Journal of Communication.
- Gardner, L., Wilkinson, K. T., Merle, P. F., Luo, Y., Rahimi, M., Cui, B., Rybalko, S., & VanDyke, M. (Forthcoming). Press coverage of the 2012 U.S. presidential election: A multinational, cross -language comparison. In C. Bieber & K. Kamps (Eds.), The United States presidential election 2012: Perspectives from election Studies, political and communication studies. Berlin: Springer VS.
- Luo, Y. (2013). Mapping Agenda-Setting Research in Mainland China: A Thematic Meta-Analysis Study. Chinese Journal of Communication.
- Willnat, L., & Luo, Y. (2011). Watching the dragon: Television news and public opinion about China. Chinese Journal of Communication, 4(3), 255-273.
- Ogan, C., Bashir, M., Camaj, L., Luo, Y., Gaddie, B., Pennington, R., Rana, S., & Salih, M. (2009). Development communication: The state of research in an era of ICTs and globalization. International Communication Gazette, 71(8), 655-670.
- Luo, Y. (2009). Chinese television. In C. H. Sterling (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Journalism (pp. 292-295). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Luo, Y., & Hao, X. (2007). Media portrayal of women and social change: A case study of Women of China. Feminist Media Studies, 7(3), 281-198.