Red Raider Guarantee
In an effort to increase access to higher education, Texas Tech has implemented a plan to guarantee tuition and mandatory fees (based on 30 credit hours for the year) to new entering freshmen and transfer students with an associate's degree, who are Texas residents, have a family adjusted gross income that does not exceed $65,000, have demonstrated financial need, and who will be enrolled full time (12 hours or more each semester - Fall/Spring only).
Eligible students must apply, be accepted for admission and have a complete financial aid file before the state priority deadline of January 15 to be considered for Red Raider Guarantee. Students may qualify for the program for up to eight (8) semesters of full-time enrollment for incoming freshmen, and up to four (4) semesters for transfer students with an associate's degree.
Red Raider Guarantee ensures tuition and mandatory fees up to 30 credit hours per year, will be paid by a combination of federal, state, and institutional funds (state and institutional for TASFA students). Examples of funds include, but are not limited to: PELL Grant, SEOG, TEXAS Grant, Texas Public Education Grant, Texas Tech Grant, scholarships (external and/or internal) etc.
This guarantee is subject to change without notice based on the annual funding levels
provided to the university by the federal and state education agencies.
Red Raider Guarantee Requirements:
- Must be an entering freshman or transfer student who has earned an associate's degree.
- Must be eligible to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
or Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)
- TASFAs received on or before the state priority deadline of January 15 will be evaluated for Red Raider Guarantee eligibility after November 1 and will be awarded based on availability of funding
- TASFAs received after the state priority deadline of January 15 will be reviewed after students who met the priority deadline and will receive first-come-first-served consideration based on availability of funding
- Must be a Texas resident
- Must have a family adjusted gross income of $65,000 or less
- Must have demonstrated financial need
- Must be enrolled full-time (at least 12 hours) each semester - Fall/Spring only
- Must apply, be accepted for admission and have a complete financial aid file by January 15
Disclaimer – In accordance with NCAA Bylaws, current and prospective student-athletes
will be awarded on an individual basis. In some cases, certain forms of financial
assistance may not be accepted nor awarded.
Red Raider Guarantee FAQs
Is there a separate application for the RRG?
- No. Once the student files the FAFSA/TASFA, the Financial Aid Office will identify all eligible students.
If I am eligible for the RRG, will I continue to receive the RRG for the remaining semesters?
- The Financial Aid Office will identify all eligible recipients. Eligible recipients need only complete the FAFSA/TASFA for each academic year and meet program guidelines
Do courses taken in high school or CLEP courses affect my eligibility for RRG?
- No. Credits taken as a non-regular college student will not count against the first-time student designation.
Are there academic requirements to remain eligible for RRG?
- Yes. Students must meet the institution's satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements. The SAP requirements are the same for most other financial aid programs (excluding TEXAS Grant and B-On Time Loan).
Is the RRG available to dependent and independent students?
- RRG is based on eligibility not on dependency status.