This application may be completed if your family's financial situation has significantly changed from the previous calendar year to the current calendar year.
The primary reason for a special circumstance is to make qualifying adjustments to the family adjusted gross income which may lower a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
In some instances, this adjustment will assist in qualifying the student for grant funding. If the student's EFC is already 0, there is no reason to submit a Special Circumstance.
Reasons for submitting a special circumstance include:
- Loss of employment - If the year to date income is equal to or more than the previous year income, no changes can be made for loss of employment.
- Separation or divorce - Changes can only be made if both parent/stepparent income was included on the FAFSA and a separation or divorce occurred after the FAFSA was submitted.
- Loss of child support - Changes can only be made if child support was included on the FAFSA.
- Death of a spouse or parent - Changes can only be made if income of the deceased was included on the FAFSA.
- Deduction of one-time payment - Consumer debt cannot be considered.
If you feel you have a circumstance or situation that is not listed above, please contact our office.
Special Circumstances Forms:
Complete and return forms and documentation to:
Student Financial Aid Office
PO Box 45011
Lubbock, TX 79409-5011 (or)