Reasons to Study Abroad
Studying abroad at Texas Tech is a unique way to grow your résumé, gain international experience, and develop your professional skills and global awareness. The Study Abroad office at Texas Tech strives to make every study abroad experience positively impactful and is committed to providing individualized, student-centered support before, during, and after the experience.
But what are the benefits of study abroad? Why should students incorporate study abroad into their college career?
- Earn credits abroad
- Improve language skills
- Deepen academic commitment
- Students with low SAT scores who study abroad finish college with higher GPAs than their peers who do not study abroad.
- First-year students with lower GPAs who later study abroad are more likely to graduate in four to five years than their peers who do not study abroad.
- Build résumé
- Demonstrate adaptability
- Enhance critical thinking and time management skills
- Increase problem-solving capabilities
- Higher starting salaries
- Grow self-awareness
- Communicate proficiently and comfortably in a global setting
- Discover and appreciate other cultures
- Respect new perspectives and ways of life
How Can Study Abroad Change Your Life?
At Texas Tech, we do not guarantee that study abroad will change your life. Instead, we believe the possibilities are in your hands. To be changed by international travel and education, students must make the conscious choice to enter into the experience with an open mind and maximize their short time abroad by setting intentional goals. After all, study abroad is an intellectual endeavor – not a vacation.
Choose to spend your time abroad wisely, proudly representing Texas Tech, by surrounding yourself with people who challenge you to grow personally, professionally, and academically. Texas Tech encourages Red Raiders to stand out from the pack by studying abroad because less than 2% of all U.S. undergraduate students enrolled at U.S. colleges and universities are studying abroad for credit. Study Abroad staff are committed to assisting all eligible students and challenging students to maximize the impact of their international endeavors.
From here, it's possible.