College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP will not be offered August 16th, 19th and 22nd due to system maintenance
- CLEP exams provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate college level knowledge for specific undergraduate courses.
- CLEP is designed to assess knowledge gained through accelerated, advanced or honors high school classes; as well as independent study.
- Texas Tech University only accepts the CLEP subject examinations.
- CLEP exams are computer-based and walk-in's are accepted in the Academic Testing Services (ATS) computer lab. (Several sessions per week are available).
- Seniors must notify their academic dean's office prior to attempting a CLEP exam and provide a letter of notification to Academic Testing Services upon registering for the exam.
You can visit the College Board website for more information.
Academic Testing Services can no longer accepts the $89.00 payment to CLEP. You must register and pay the $89.00 CLEP fee by visiting College Board. Your online registration does NOT include your appointment at Academic Testing Services and you will be required to pay the $49.00 payment to Texas Tech on the test day. When purchasing your CLEP exam, your first name and last name must MATCH EXACTLY as they appear on your government issued ID when checking in to Academic Testing Services for your exam. Please visit College Board for a video tutorial of the CLEP registration process.
How to Sign-up & Reserve your CLEP exams at Academic Testing Services:
- Contact the ATS Office by phone (806) 742-3671 or E-mail email@example.com for current availability and fees.
- Visit the College Board website to pay the $89.00 CLEP fee. Once this fee is paid, you will receive a voucher that you must bring with you on the test date. This must be done prior to arriving at Academic Testing Services.
- Walk in to a test session 30 minutes early (test sessions begin at 2:00 PM Monday through Friday and students must arrive by 1:30 PM) to make your $49.00 payment to Texas Texas Tech and sign up.
- Fees are non-refundable.
- For more information, please see our CLEP application material.
- Photo ID is required (must be official government ID)
- CLEP exams will NOT be offered during Texas Tech final exams
CLEP Application Material:
- Sample test questions can be downloaded at www.collegeboard.com
- CLEP exams are not offered online. The exam must be taken in an approved CLEP testing center.
- Results are based on a scaled score; therefore one point does not equal one question. The highest score one can receive on a CLEP exam is an 80.
- If taking the Freshman College Composition or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, there will be an extra fee of $30.00 for the on-campus essay that will be graded by graders in the Texas Tech English Department.
- Please allow 2 hours to complete each testing session. Students are allowed 90 minutes to complete one exam. The additional 30 minutes are required for registration and tutorial.
- If you test with Academic Testing Services, scores will be directly reported to the Texas Tech Registrar.
- CLEP scores do not affect a student's GPA. A course credit indicated by "CLP" will be placed on a student's transcript for the Texas Tech equivalent course for which credit was earned.
- If "official" scores are being sent from College Board, allow a minimum of 1 week for Texas Tech to receive them.