College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- CLEP exams provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate college level knowledge for specific undergraduate courses.
- CLEP is designed to assess knowledge gained through accelerated, advanced or honors high school classes; as well as independent study.
- Texas Tech University only accepts the CLEP subject examinations.
- CLEP exams are computer-based and walk-in's are accepted in the Academic Testing Services (ATS) computer lab. (Several sessions per week are available).
You can visit the College Board website at www.collegeboard.comfor more information.
How to Sign-up & Reserve your CLEP exams at Academic Testing Services:
- Contact the ATS Office by phone (806) 742-3671 or E-mail email@example.com for current availability and fees.
- Walk in to a test session 30 minutes early to make your 2 payments and sign up.
- Fees are non-refundable.
- For more information, please see our CLEP application material.
- Two forms of ID are required (One must be official government ID)
- CLEP exams will NOT be offered during Texas Tech final exams
To find out when CLEP exams are offered, visit the ATS Calendar
CLEP Application Material:Click Here to Download CLEP application material.
- Sample test questions can be downloaded at www.collegeboard.com
- CLEP exams are not offered online. The exam must be taken in an approved CLEP testing center.
- Results are based on a scaled score; therefore one point does not equal one question. The highest score one can receive on a CLEP exam is an 80.
- If taking the Freshman College Composition or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, there will be an extra fee of $30.00 for the on-campus essay that will be graded by graders in the Texas Tech English Department.
- Please allow 2 hours to complete each testing session. Students are allowed 90 minutes to complete one exam. The additional 30 minutes are required for registration and tutorial.
- If you test with Academic Testing Services, scores will be directly reported to the Texas Tech Registrar.
- CLEP scores do not affect a student's GPA. A course credit indicated by "CLP" will be placed on a student's transcript for the Texas Tech equivalent course for which credit was earned.
- If "official" scores are being sent from College Board, allow a minimum of 1 week for Texas Tech to receive them. *Policies and fees are subject to change