Department of Design
ADM major students who are taking ADM fashion studio courses are required to purchase/or have their own sewing machine, ironing board, iron, and serger.
Timeline: First-year students are required to purchase a sewing machine and iron and ironing board (ADM 1303). Second-year students are required to purchase a serger (ADM 1304, ADM 2308).
Required equipment for the listed ADM courses must be acquired by the third class day. It is the student's responsibility to order equipment in a timely manner and be prepared for classes.
For questions about equipment, please contact ADM Program Director, Assistant Professor, Rachel Anderson, MFA. Email email@example.com.
Required irons must have the following functions: steam function and temperature control
for various fabrics. The iron can be any brand.
Department suggested brands: Sunbeam (low), Black and Decker (middle), and Rowenta (high).
Required sewing machine with the following functions: straight stitch, zig-zag stitch, stretch stitch, and buttonhole function. Blind hem stitch function is optional but recommended.
Department suggested brands: Singer (low), Brother (middle), Janome or Juki (high).
Sewing machines are available from the following brands:
- Brother or Singer - Recommended for non-major students
- Brother or Singer Heavy-Duty
- Juki - https://www.joann.com/shopping/?prefn1=brand&prefv1=Juki&srule=best-sellers&start=0&sz=72
- Janome or Bernina - https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Machines-US/Sewing-Machines
Note: This is not an exhaustive list. The machine needs to be an Overlock Serger with 3- or 4-thread capability at a minimum. It must also be capable of stitching a rolled hem. The below machines fit the requirements.
- Janome - https://www.joann.com/janome-mod-8933-serger/15131964.html#srule=In-Stock%20Items&start=1
- Brother - https://www.amazon.com/Brother-1034D-Thread-Serger-Differential/dp/B0000CBK1L/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=janome+serger&qid=1596645439&sr=8-2
- Singer - https://www.joann.com/singer-14cg754-serger/8694895.html#srule=In-Stock%20Items&start=1
- Best Value:
- Brother Strong & Tough -https://www.amazon.com/Brother-ST4031HD-Construction-Extension-Stitches/dp/B0741HM3HW/ref=sr_1_5dchild=1&keywords=serger+sewing+machine&qid=1596644436&sr=8-5
- JUKI - https://www.amazon.com/MO-80CB-Free-Arm-Serger-Overlock-Machine/dp/B089G8Y4WK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=juki+serger+sewing+machine&qid=1596645354&sr=8-4
- Bernette - https://www.amazon.com/Bernette-bern-bernette-funlock-44-Funlock-44-Serger/dp/B06XHD2CMW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=serger&qid=1596645854&sr=8-7
- High Quality:
Purchasing a fashion design industry-standard dress form is optional for all ADM studio courses.Below are recommended dress forms for student use at home. It is suggested to email your Instructor or Program Director with a link to your chosen dress form before purchasing to ensure all the ADM program requirements are met for fashion design, patternmaking, and draping dress forms.
Size 8 (Bust 34-35", Waist 26 1/2", Hip 37"). These professional fashion design industry-standard mannequins should be as close to these measurements as possible. Slight variations are allowed. Home sewing adjustable dress forms (Joann Fabrics or other sources) are not allowed. Dress forms are available from the following preferred options. If these forms are out of stock, email Professor Anderson (above) for approval before purchasing.
- Dress Forms USA- Missy/Female with collapsible shoulders, Size 8
- Mannequin Mall – Missy/Female with collapsible shoulders, Size 8
- **Optional Pant Form- Missy/Female with collapsible shoulders, Size 8
- **Optional Dress Form-Male, Size 38
*All ADM students are required to have their own laptop or PC computer
Hard Disk Capacity
Core i7 2400, 3.1 GHz or higher
240+ GB (SSD) or higher
16+ GB or higher
PC, Windows 10, Professional or Enterprise, 64 Bit (required)
Minimum Laptop Computer Requirements
The laptop should meet or exceed the following specifications.
- Processor | 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7 or i9 quad-core processor, 2.4Ghz or greater
- Memory | 16GB RAM
- Storage | 512GB SSD (Solid State Disk)
- Display | 15 inch or larger, 1920x1080 or higher resolution
- Video Card | Quadro M1200, Geforce GTX 470, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, AMD Radeon Pro 555X
- Networking | Wireless 802.11N and Ethernet adapter
- Operating System | Windows 10 or OSX Sierra or newer
- Warranty | 3 years or greater
- Recovery | OS installation media
- Backup | external hard drive
Apple Macintosh Computers
*Mac doesn't support Accumark Pattern Design system. PC is required for AccuMark use. The 15-inch Macbook Pro laptops exceed the specifications for the minimum computer requirement. Software programs required for use in some courses are only available on Microsoft Windows. To use this software, Windows will have to be installed on the laptop. Students are responsible for obtaining, installing, and maintaining operating systems on their computers.
Assistance with computer problems
For computer support visit the TTU IT help website or call 742-4357.
Limited support is available from the Department of Design IT staff.