Department of Design
Minimum Laptop Computer Requirements
The laptop should meet or exceed the following specifications.
- Processor |Current generation Intel® Core™ i7 or i9 quad-core processor, 2.4Ghz or greater
- Memory | 16GB RAM
- Storage | 512GB SSD (Solid State Disk)
- Display | 15 inch or larger, 1920x1080 or higher resolution
- Graphics | Quadro M1200, Geforce GTX 470, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, AMD Radeon Pro 555X
- Networking | Wireless 802.11N
- Connectivity | HDMI connection (built-in or via adapter)
- Warranty | 3 years or greater
- Backup | external disk or cloud storage
- Apple Computer | non-m1 Processor (see note regarding Apple Computers below)
Apple Macintosh Computers
Some 15-inch Macbook Pro laptops exceed the specifications for the minimum computer requirement, depending on the model chosen. Software programs that will be required for use in all upper-division courses are only available for Microsoft Windows. To use this software, be aware that Windows will have to be installed on the laptop. Students are responsible for obtaining, installing, and maintaining operating systems on their computers.
Purchase Windows Home Edition online from Microsoft.
Read instructions for installing Windows using Apple Bootcamp Assistant.
At this time some of the software used in the interior design program is not fully compatible with the Apple M1 processor. The intel processor is recommended if you choose to purchase an Apple computer.
Financial Aid Application for purchasing a laptop
In Microsoft Word format
In Adobe Acrobat format
Discounted laptops for TTU Students
Apple Education Store with discounts for students
Dell University Program for the Texas Tech Students
Creation Engine academic software discounts for students.
Software available to students for free or low cost
Site-licensed software (Microsoft Office)
AutoDesk Education Community (AutoCAD, Revit)
Adobe Creative cloud discounts for students
Microsoft Office downloads for students (enter your TTU email address as the username)
Assistance with computer problems
For computer support visit the TTU IT help website or call 742-4357.
Limited support is available from the Department of Design IT staff.
Department of Design
AddressTexas Tech University, P.O. Box 41220, Lubbock, TX 79409-1220