The Aquatic Center at Texas Tech University Recreational Sports allows the department to maintain an open pool facility year-round. The facility is now entirely indoors and is covered by one of the largest air-supported structures in the world, newly replaced in the summer of 2012. The facility boasts a 50-meter end-to-end length, as well as standard 25-yard lap lanes at varying depths. The large shallow end of the pool contains a basketball hoop, climbing wall and is a popular spot for group fitness classes.
Aquatics Daily Hours
For today's hours, please navigate to our hours page.
The Texas Tech Student Leisure Pool is one of the premiere achievements of the Rec Sports Department. Completed in May of 2009, the Student Leisure Pool represents the largest leisure pool on a college campus in the United States. With a 645ft. long lazy river as the centerpiece of the design, the pool brought in more than 70,000 visitors in its first summer open to members.
The Student Leisure Pool was approved by the students of Texas Tech University by referendum on October 6, 2006. A fee increase of $10 per semester to the student recreation fee was instituted for the construction of the new Leisure Pool. In addition, students voted on special features to be included in the project. $7.5 million was originally earmarked for construction and was increased to $8.4 million when construction costs increased.
- 645ft. Lazy River
- 25 Person Hot Tub
- 10ft. Drop Slide
- 8 Lane Lap Pool
- Four Lane Free Play/Fitness Pool
- Cascading Water Wet Deck
- Bubble Couch
- Spray Pad
- Sam's Poolside Cafe
- Full Wireless Access
- Full Bath House
Design and Construction Information
- Architects: Brinkley Sargent Architects, Dallas, TX
- Aquatic Design: Councilman-Hunsaker, St Louis, MO
- Engineers: Parkhill Smith & Cooper, Lubbock, TX
- Design Assistance: TTU Student Government
- Construction Management: Western Builders, Amarillo, TX
- Pool Construction: Sunbelt Pools, Inc., Dallas Project
- Management: TTU Facilities Planning and Construction
- Construction Start Date: May 19, 2008
- Opening: May 22, 2009
- Grand Opening: September 4, 2009
- Project Cost: $8.4 million
- Construction Cost: $6,989,000
- Total Square Feet: 67,000
- Location: Adjacent & Connected to Robert H. Ewalt Student Rec Center
- Joe MacLean, Director of Rec Sports
- Peewee Roberson, Senior Associate Director of Rec Sports
- Melissa Hogle, Assistant Director for Aquatics
- Ryan Worley, Student
- Suzette Mathews, Student
- Ralph Pettingell, Student
- Matt Fowler, Student
- Matt Nestander, Student
Leisure Pool Schedule
The Leisure Pool is open from late March through early October.
For full Leisure Pool and Aquatics Center Rental Information, Please Click Here, or call us!
806-742-1339 for the Leisure Pool & Aquatic Center
For complete policies information, Please Click Here.