TTU IRB recommends completing human subject training for all researchers engaged with human subjects. This inlcudes recruiting, consenting, and collecting data from participants or analyzing identitafiable data. Human subject researchers can complete the TTU Human Subject Research - Required Basic course through CITI. The CITI course takes about 2.5 hours to complete and has an expiration date of three years.
For researchers that prefer a classroom/group setting the HRPP office offers face-to-face and online trainings for TTU Human Subject Training.
TTU Human Subject Research - Required Basic
- History and Ethical Principles - SBE (ID 490)
- Defining Research with Human Subjects - SBE (ID 491)
- Assessing Risk - SBE (ID 503)
- Informed Consent - SBE (ID 504)
- Privacy and Confidentiality - SBE (ID 505)
- Belmont Report and Its Principles (ID 1127)
CITI offers a wide-variety of modules that may be beneficial to you in your research. Researchers can choose five electives and will receive an additional completition certificate. Select the modules that are the most impactful to you in your research.
TTU Human Subject Research - Elective Material
- Records-Based Research (ID 5)
- Genetic Research in Human Populations (ID 6)
- Research Involving Prisoners (ID 8)
- Research Involving Children (ID 9)
- Research Involving Pregnant Women, Fetuses, and Neonates (ID 10)
- FDA-Regulated Research (ID 12)
- Research and HIPAA Privacy Protections (ID 14)
- Vulnerable Subjects - Research Involving Workers/Employees (ID 483)
- Hot Topics (ID 487)
- The Federal Regulations - SBE (ID 502)
- Research with Prisoners - SBE (ID 506)
- Research with Children - SBE (ID 507)
- Research in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools - SBE (ID 508)
- International Research - SBE (ID 509)
- Internet-Based Research - SBE (ID 510)
- International Studies (ID 971)
- Students in Research (ID 1321)
- Avoiding Group Harms - U.S. Research Perspectives (ID 14080)
- Avoiding Group Harms - International Research Perspectives (ID 14081)
- Recognizing and Reporting Unanticipated Problems Involving Risks to Subjects or Others in Biomedical Research (ID 14777)
- Unanticipated Problems and Reporting Requirements in Social and Behavioral Research (ID 14928) Cultural Competence in Research (ID 15166)
- Research with Older Adults (ID 16502)
- Research with Persons who are Socially or Economically Disadvantaged (ID 16539)
- Gender and Sexuality Diversity (GSD) in Human Research (ID 16556)
- Research with Decisionally Impaired Subjects (ID 16610)
- Illegal Activities or Undocumented Status in Human Research (ID 16656)
- Research with Subjects with Physical Disabilities & Impairments (ID 16657)
- Populations in Research Requiring Additional Considerations and/or Protections (ID 16680)
- Consent and Subject Recruitment Challenges: Remuneration (ID 16881)
- Consent Tools Used by Researchers (ID 16944)
- Introduction To Community-Engaged Research (CEnR) (ID 16994)
- Introduction to Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR) (ID 16995)
- Ethical and Practical Considerations in Community-Engaged Research (CEnR) (ID 16996)
- Consent in the 21st Century (ID 17060)
- Consent and Subject Recruitment Challenges: Therapeutic Misconception (ID 17259)
- Consent with Subjects Who Do Not Speak English (ID 17260)
- Consent and Cultural Competence (ID 17263)
- FERPA: An Introduction (ID 17407)
- FERPA for Researchers (ID 17410)
- Data and Safety Monitoring in Human Subjects Research (ID 17433)
- Conflicts of Interest in Human Subjects Research (ID 17464)
- Human Subjects Considerations and Big Data Research (ID 19126)
- Mobile Apps and Human Subjects Research (ID 19728)
- Ethical and Appropriate Uses of Administrative Data for Research and Evaluation (ID 19826)
Instructions for Registering for CITI Training
- Go to link www.citiprogram.org
- Click on "Register."
- Enter Texas Tech University into "Select Your Organization Affiliation."
- Click "I affirm that I am an affiliate of Texas Tech University.
- Click "Continue to Create Your CITI Program Username/Password."
- Fill out Personal Information by entering your First Name, Last Name, TTU Email Address/Verification,
and Secondary Email Address/Verification into the appropriate boxes. Click "Continue
to Step 3."
***Providing a TTU email address will link your account to Cayuse IRB.***
- Create a username and enter it into the "User Name" box. Remember the username should
be at least four (4) characters and is NOT case sensitive.
- Create a password and enter it into the "Password" box. You will need to enter the password again into the "Verify Password" box for verification. Remember the password should be at least eight (8) characters and IS case sensitive.
- Scroll down and click the dropdown arrow in the "Security Question" box. Select a security question with a memorable answer from the dropdown box.
- Type the answer to the security question you chose in the "Security Answer" box.
- Click "Continue to Step 4."
*If you receive an error message claiming your username is already in use, you will need to change your username and press "Continue to Step 4" again.
- Enter your country of residence into the "Country of Residence" box.
- Scroll down to the "Can CITI Program contact you...regarding participation in research surveys?" section and click "yes," "no," or "Not sure, Ask me later" to indicate whether you wish for CITI to contact you regarding participation in research surveys.
- Under the "Can CITI Program contact you...with marketing information?" section, click "yes" or "no" to indicate if you would like to receive marketing information from CITI at a later date.
- Click "Continue to Step 5."
- Indicate that you are not interested in receiving Continuing Education Unit (CEU)
credit for completing CITI Program courses by clicking the "No" button.
- Click "Continue to Step 6."
- Click the dropdown arrow under "Language Preference" and select "English."
- Enter the requested information into the required "Institutional Email Address," "Department," and "Role in Research" boxes as well as any additional information you wish to provide in the remaining boxes.
- Click "Continue to Step 7."
- In step 7, you will be responsible for selecting courses that are relevant to your field of research. At Question 4 you will choose TTU Human Subject Research - Required Basic. If you would like to take the elective material you can add that course at a later time.
- Click "Complete Registration."
- Click "Finalize Registration."
The following screen will show all the courses you selected. Click on the course title to begin a course.
- Click on "View Courses".
- Click on "Start Now" under TTU Human Subject Research - Required Basic.