How to Apply to the Communication Studies Master's Program
At the moment, applying to the Communication Studies (COMS) Master's Program means that you will be moving forward on two fronts, as you will be submitting forms and materials both to TTU's Graduate School and to the Department of Communication Studies.
Contact Dr. Mark Gring, directly to start the departmental application process.
Application Materials Required by the COMS Department
The TTU Grad school is going through a transition in the application process, and
it is a little disjointed this year.
Here are the step you need to follow to apply.
1. Fill out the graduate school application at Apply Texas (https://www.applytexas.org). Pay the application fee and hit submit when done.
2. Then email as attachments the following things to email@example.com (cc me on the email at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Resume & Cover letter
- Career goals
- Personal Statement (why you want to go to graduate school and why at TTU)
- Letters of Recommendation from three professors
- Samples of academic / professional work in communication (if you have any)
- Proof of GRE scores if undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0
3. Mail GRE scores, TOEFL scores (if required) and official transcripts from all of the colleges and universities that you have attended to Texas Tech University Graduate School.
Contact Our Graduate Director
- Mark Gring, Ph.D.
- Media & Communication Building, Room 516
- Competitive applicants apply by March 1.
- Competitive applicants apply by October 1.
To do well in the COMS Master's Program, you should have at least 12 hours in Communication Studies or a related field. At least 9 hours must be in non-forensics (speech and debate).
Become a Teaching Assistant
To apply for a position as a COMS Teaching Assistant please contact Dr. Mark Gring and check the “Desire to be considered for a TA position” on the COMC application.
Also, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form online.
For more information about financial aid for graduate students, contact the TTU Office of Financial Aid.
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409