We Are World Travelers
COMC students embarked on a study abroad trip to London, England.
We Are Experienced
Tech PR visits Dallas PR agencies.
We Are Crisis Communicators
Alumna Linda Rutherford teaches Crisis Communication Short Course.
We Are Diverse
Angela Barrera Participates in 2013 Hispanic College Quiz Bowl
We Are Social
Social Media Lab Sparks Interest
We Are Scholars
Chinwe Obi: Texas Tech Student of Integrated Scholarship
We Are Professionals
PR student Caroline Trujillo discusses her internship with the Houston Astros.
About the Department of Public Relations
The Department of Public Relations offers a 120-hour degree program leading to a Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations. Widely recognized as one of the fastest-growing career fields worldwide, public relations has become the most popular program in the College of Media & Communication. Our curriculum develops students’ critical thinking, written communication skills and oral communication skills.
Coursework emphasizes relationship management and strategic campaign planning, the role of traditional and new media in public relations practice, principles of persuasive communication, globalization and diversity, the history of the field and legal and ethical challenges that practitioners may face.
Graduates will be prepared for technical and managerial roles in public relations firms, as well as corporate and nonprofit organizations. Special topic courses enhance students’ understanding of the public relations function as it relates to media relations, crisis communication, social media, community relations, sports communication, government relations, international communication and other practice areas.
Prospective students can learn more about the public relations major at Texas Tech here.
Current and prospective students with interests in social media may want to become involved with the college’s social media lab, The Outpost. Click here to learn more.
In The News
- Former doctoral student Dane Kiambi, Ph.D., and Autumn Shafer, Ph.D., received the Ecquid Novi African Journalism Studies Best Paper Award for Journalism Research at the 2014 AEJMC conference in Montreal for their paper titled, "Country Reputation Management: Developing a Scale for Measuring the Reputation of Four African Countries in the United States." The paper was selected for the award from the submissions to the AEJMC International Communication Division's Open Paper Competition.
- Congratulations to Weiwu Zhang, Ph.D.! Zhang was selected as the research co-chair with the Public Relations Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) for the 2014-2015 year.
- Weiwu Zhang, Ph.D., has been selected by the Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group as the new editor for Communication Booknotes Quarterly to begin in 2015.
- Congratulations to Adeniyi Bello for being selected by the Public Relations Division (PRD) of the Association of Educators in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) as one of three winners of the 2014 Inez Kaiser Graduate Students of Color Award.
- A manuscript Eric Rasmussen, Ph.D., co-authored was accepted for publication: Coyne, S. M., Linder, J. R., Rasmussen, E. E., Nelson, D. A., & Collier, K. M. (in press). It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a gender stereotype!: Longitudinal association between superhero viewing and gender stereotyped play. Sex Roles.
- Psychology Today blogger, Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D., interviewed and quoted Eric Rasmussen, Ph.D., in a recent article "Fulfillment at Any Age." Whitbourne referenced Rasmussen's and colleague David Ewoldsen's article "Dr. Phil and Psychology Today as self-help treatments of mental illness: A content analysis of popular psychology programming. Journal of Health Communication."
- Current PR Students
- Degree Requirements
- Faculty Research
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Graduate Program
- Outpost Social Media Lab
- PR Faculty
- Prospective PR Students
- Resources for Research
- Tech PR
For more information regarding advising in PR, contact Ashton Ray.
For more information regarding internships, contact Aleesa Ross.
For information about TechPR, the student public relations association, contact the TechPR President.