Chinwe Obi: Texas Tech Student of Integrated Scholarship
David Peveto is reviving the student-run public relations firm, RaiderComm.
PR student Sara Krueger tells her story.
PR student Caroline Trujillo discusses her internship with the Houston Astros.
PR student Josh Blankenship discusses his internship with Southwest Airlines.
About the Department of Public Relations
The Department of Public Relations offers a 120-hour degree program leading to a Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations. Widely recognized as one of the fastest-growing career fields worldwide, public relations has become the most popular program in the College of Media & Communication. Our curriculum develops students’ critical thinking, written communication skills and oral communication skills.
Coursework emphasizes relationship management and strategic campaign planning, the role of traditional and new media in public relations practice, principles of persuasive communication, globalization and diversity, the history of the field and legal and ethical challenges that practitioners may face.
Graduates will be prepared for technical and managerial roles in public relations firms, as well as corporate and nonprofit organizations. Special topic courses enhance students’ understanding of the public relations function as it relates to media relations, crisis communication, social media, community relations, sports communication, government relations, international communication and other practice areas.
Prospective students can learn more about the public relations major at Texas Tech here.
In The News
- Callison, C., Merle, P., & Seltzer, T. (2013, August). Smart friendly liars: Public perception of public relations practitioners over time. Paper to be presented at the Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication annual conference in Washington, DC.
- Congratulations to Impact PR team members Trisha Banks, Rachel Shackelford, Peyton Shea, Kendra Szymarek, Kenzie Szymarek, and Kristin Wyllys. Their team won the South Plains Center for Productivity and Innovation account in Dr. Seltzer’s Public Relations Campaigns class.
- Seltzer, T., Zhang, W., Gearhart, S., & Conduff, L. (in press). Sources of citizens' experiential and reputational relationships with political parties. Public Relations Journal.
- Congratulations to Dr. Liz Gardner on receiving a Texas Tech Alumni Association New Faculty Award!
- Lynn Sweeney, Otis Warren, Liz Gardner, Adam Rojek, & David Lindquist. (Accepted for publication). A simulation-based training program improves emergency department staff’s communication. American Journal of Medical Quality.
- Current PR Students
- Degree Requirements
- Faculty Research
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Graduate Program
- PR Faculty
- Prospective PR Students
- Resources for Research
- Tech PR
For more information regarding advising in PR, contact Miranda Russell.
For more information regarding internships, contact Aleesa Ross.
For information about TechPR, the student public relations association, contact the TechPR President.