Items on this page:
There are no unscheduled outages in progress at this time.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Planned shutdowns are usually reserved for the 2nd full week of the 2nd month of each calendar quarter to carry out system maintenance. These can sometimes be skipped if not needed, expanded if necessary, or reduced. In addition, there will sometimes be necessary special planned shutdowns to carry out upgrades or alterations to the clusters.
For 2021, the planned shutdowns will be on the following schedule:
January 4-15, 2021 (Special shutdown to merge Quanah and RedRaider clusters)* - COMPLETE
May 10-14, 2021 Revised to May 24-31, 2021, see below.** COMPLETE
August 9-13, 2021 Eliminated
4) November 8-12, 2021
* The previous Quanah cluster and new RedRaider cluster additions were merged and Quanah was converted to a Slurm partition during this upgrade. For further information, visit the "Training" link on this site or select the "HPCC" menu item in the IT Division Short Courses catalog.
** Revised to May 24-31 to accommodate City of Lubbock electrical interruptions during this period. HPCC maintenance completed early and services resumed to service May 29, 2021, 4:00 pm. Any jobs that may have failed during this shutdown due to maintenance work should be resubmitted.
Work completed during this shutdown includes the following:
- Upgrade and security patches for the Slurm scheduler
- Improved redundancy for the central NFS file service by addition of a third server
- Maintenance and controller updates of the coolant distribution unit for the liquid-cooled nodes
- Improved installation for the Intel compilers and MKL libraries
- Initiation of a planned purge of older files on the scratch area
- Firmware updates on all cluster worker nodes
- Improvement of the module organization (CentOS 8 nodes only)
- Automatic setup of module libraries by architecture for each partition (CentOS 8 nodes only)
- Creation of initial test reservation of 120 nodes for transition of Quanah partition to CentOS 8
We appreciate your patience during this maintenance. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance or have any further questions.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Maintenance downtime policy for HPCC systems:
- Special periods may be reserved for performing routine maintenance. Users will be notified as early as possible when we are planning on bring the systems down for any reason.
- Systems may also go down at anytime to fix security issues, but every effort will be made to give the earliest possible notice.
- Maintenance may also be required without prior notice in the event of system crashes or any unstable behavior.
Users should always keep extra copies of any files that are critical to their research on systems that are outside of the HPCC to guard against possible loss in the event of unforeseen catastrophic failure.
This policy is just good general practice and applies to all critical research files, regardless of where they are stored or whether or not they are located on HPCC resources.
If you have any questions, concerns, or problems the please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.