M.S. in Environmental Design
Make a Difference Through Design With Your Environmental M.S. Degree From Texas Tech
Texas Tech University offers a nationally recognized Environmental Design master's degree program that continues to earn prominent recognition by top environmental design organizations across the nation. The Master of Environmental Design degree offers an in-depth focus on interior and environmental design.
Promote your ideas, creativity, and career with our Environmental Design master's degree.
The MS program in Environmental Design is an internationally recognized program that continues to earn prominent recognition by top environmental design organizations across the nation. Faculty and students in our Environmental Design master's degree program publish in top-rated academic journals and win awards from prominent organizations including DesignIntelligence, American Society of Interior Designers, International Interior Design Association, Environmental Design Research Association, and the International Academy of Design and Health.
The design master's program is for students with interests in human behavior and the environment as related to specific design problems (i.e., sustainability, design for special populations, learning environments, healthcare, etc.). Current students have backgrounds in architecture or interior design. The program also provides graduate opportunities for degree-seeking students with backgrounds not in the design fields. Additionally, there is an accelerated bachelors to master's degree program allowing academically capable students to begin the MS degree during their fourth year of undergraduate studies.
Working alongside leading scholars and innovators, you will earn an environmental design master's degree that prepares you to take the next step professionally and academically.
Texas Tech's interior and environmental design master's concentration stands out for its:
- Award-winning faculty. Most of our faculty combine Ph.D.s with years of professional experience in commercial design, residential design, healthcare design, or other environmental design specialties.
- Specialized expertise. Texas Tech has earned widespread attention for environmental design innovations that accommodate elderly, disabled, and mentally challenged populations.
- International diversity. You will work alongside environmental design students and faculty from the United States, India, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Professional connections. The environmental design department's advisory board of alumni and practicing environmental designers provides a built-in network to support your professional development.
- Publication opportunities. Because Texas Tech has a reputation for forward-thinking environmental and interior design research, journal editors welcome submissions from our students and faculty. Our department has published papers with the International Journal of Design Principles and Practices, Health Environment Research & Design Journal, Intelligent Buildings International, and Journal of Environmental Psychology.
The Master of Science Degree in Environmental Design degree program develops thought leaders with expert abilities in research translation and application in design practice and education.
The interior design master's degree is structured to be completed in approximately one year. The focused experience provides a significant return on investment and reduces the amount of time away from work for professionals. Part-time enrollment is also an option for those in professional practice.
The Department of Design is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
Focus Our Environmental Design Master's Degree on Your Interests
Texas Tech's Environment Design master's degree program culminates in an independent capstone project on a subject of special interest to you.
This two-course sequence begins with an in-depth literature review on an environmental design topic of your choosing. In the second course, you will create a design solution that is based on the research from your literature review.
The capstone project enables you to demonstrate a wide range of skills, including creativity, problem-solving, writing, and design. You will end up with a strong portfolio piece that advances your professional standing in architecture, environmental design, historic restoration, or another specialized field. You also will have a body of work to share with potential employers or Ph.D. program admissions counselors.
Environmental Design Career Opportunities
Graduates of Texas Tech's environmental design master's degree program have an outstanding record of professional and academic success. After completing your Master of Science in Environmental Design, you will find professional opportunities in fields such as:
- Interior design
- Environmental design
- Commercial design
- Healthcare design
- Residential design
- Historic preservation and renovation