Watland/Woody LGBTQIA Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship was established through the generosity of Katrina Watland and Dr. Jay Woody, alumni of Texas Tech University. The scholarship award is $500 for one academic year. Recipients may only be awarded the scholarship once. The scholarship will be applied to the recipient's student business account.
Minimum Qualifications for consideration are:
1. Full-time undergraduate student at Texas Tech University;
2. A cumulative 2.75 grade point average (GPA);
3. A statement regarding financial need and/or hardships impacting success as an undergraduate student, including discussion on how the applicant is financing college and any work history (no more than 250 words, but not fewer than 100 words);
4. A brief essay explaining the applicant's involvement in matters particularly relevant to the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA) people (no more than 500 words, but not fewer than 250);
5. A resume that includes the applicant's extracurricular activities, honors, achievements, memberships, etc.; and
6. Two (2) letters of recommendation.
Apply for 2023 - 2024
Submission Deadline: April 21, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Applicants authorize the Office of LGBTQIA Education & Engagement to examine their transcript(s) as an applicant for the scholarship.
Note to Applicants: State law requires that each student identify any relation to a current Board of Regent member. A student who is related to a current member of the governing board of that institution is prohibited from receiving scholarships unless the scholarship is awarded exclusively based on academic merit or is an athletic scholarship. It is a Class B misdemeanor to file a false statement.
2022-2023: Andrew Glore
2021-2022: Charlie Scheel
2020-2021: Roman Konopa
2019-2020: Matthew R. Hernandez
2018-2019: Nora Chapman
Office of LGBTQIA Education & Engagement
AddressDoak Hall 118, Texas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409