Watland/Woody LGBTQIA Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship was established through the generosity of Katrina Watland and Dr. Jay Woody, alumni of Texas Tech University. The scholarship award is $500 for one academic year. Recipients may only be awarded the scholarship once. The scholarship will be applied to the recipient's account by the TTU Scholarship Office for the fall semester.
Minimum Qualifications for consideration are:
- Full-time undergraduate student at Texas Tech University;
- A cumulative 2.75 grade point average (GPA);
- Statement (not more than 250 words, but no fewer than 100 words) on the applicant's financial need and/or hardships impacting success as an undergraduate student to include discussion on how the applicant is financing college and work history;
- Brief essay (not more than 500 words, but no fewer than 250 words) explaining the applicant's involvement in matters particularly relevant to the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA) people;
- Two letters of recommendation; and
- A resume that includes the applicant's extracurricular activities, honors, achievements, memberships, etc.
The deadline for 2019-2020 applications has closed.
Applicants authorize the Office of LGBTQIA Education & Engagement to examine their transcript(s) as an applicant for the scholarship.
Note to Applicants: State law requires that each student identify any relation to a current Board of Regent member. A student who is related to a current member of the governing board of that institution is prohibited from receiving scholarships unless the scholarship is awarded exclusively based on academic merit or is an athletic scholarship. It is a Class B misdemeanor to file a false statement.
2019-2020: Matthew R. Hernandez
2018-2019: Nora Chapman