First Ladies’ Fashions of Texas Tech University
July 9, 2023 – January 2024
In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the founding of Texas Tech University the Clothing and Textiles Division has organized an exhibit of garments worn by the women who were behind the men who were in leadership.
Included in the exhibit will be beautiful garments worn by:
• Audrey Barber Jones, wife of Dr. Clifford B. Jones (President 1938–1944), for whom the football stadium is named because they donated significant funds to build it.
• Dean Margaret Watson Weeks, the first Dean of the School of Home Economics,
• Both wives of Museum founder Dr. Curry Holden (1929–1970): Olive Price Holden and Frances Virginia “Fran” Mayhugh Holden
• Constance Bishop Goodwin, wife of Dr. R. C. Goodwin (President 1960–1966), she was among those that organized the first tea for the University Women's Club at TTC.
• Both wives of Dr. Grover Murray (President 1966–1976), Nancy Setzer Murray and Sally Sowell Williams Murray
• Peggy Cavazos, wife of President Lauro Cavazos, the first alumnus and the first Hispanic to serve as Texas Tech president 1980–1988
• Dr. Janet Tornelli-Mitchell, the wife of the Current Chancellor of the Texas Tech University System
Together these pieces offer a glimpse into the garments of those that ran the university over most of the years of its existence. Some such as those worn by Dean Weeks and Olive Price Holden were worn everyday by employees of the University. Others were worn for special occasions. The Museum is fortunate to have and excited to share these treasures from the Ladies who walked this campus always seeking to improve its offerings for the students and community.