Overview of Services
Student participants of the TECHniques Center receive the following support services:
History of the TECHniques Center
The TECHniques Center has been a resource to Texas Tech University for 20 years. Begun in 1999 with only 20 students and one full-time director, the TECHniques Center is the only program of its kind in Texas and has expanded to include 175 student participants (each semester), 60 – 75 peer tutors, and eight full-time staff members. We are proud to be a nationally-recognized program for students who learn differently.
One-on-one, regularly scheduled tutoring for Texas Tech University enrolled courses with highly-trained and qualified College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) certified tutor(s). Tutors also assist with organization, time management, study skills, and other resources as requested by Academic Counselors.
- Individualized support from Academic Counselors to build academic and self-advocacy skills.
- Supplemental assistance with academic major and career exploration, problem-solving, and course schedule registration (note: Academic Counselors do not provide major advising).
- Referrals to various academic support services and co-curricular involvement opportunities on campus and within the community.
Use of Center Resources
- During the long semesters, the TECHniques Center is open Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Students have full access to Mac and PC computer labs, as well as tutoring resources and study spaces.
- Printing is currently available for course-specific needs.