1925 - 1932 : Dean William J. Miller
- Fall 1928:
- The Texas Technological College School of Engineering was established in the fall
of 1925. The School consisted of 313 students and two faculty members, Dean William
J. Miller and Professor Edmond Weymond Camp, and all classes were held in the Textile
Engineering Building, now known as the Industrial Engineering Building.
- October 9, 1925:
- James H. Murdough brought his experience at MIT and in industry to the college as
one of the first faculty members.
- Governor Miriam Ferguson gave the college $125,000 to build a new engineering building.
- The School of Engineering expanded and opened the West Engineering Building, now the
Electrical and Computer Engineering Building.
1932 - 1949 : Dean Otto Vincent Adams
- Dean Otto Vincent Adams was instrumental in preventing the transfer of the engineering
and agriculture program to Texas A&M.
- Enrollment in engineering grew from 378 to 2,146, with an increase from 19 to 48 in
- The Engineering Council for Professional Development accredited the civil, electrical,
industrial, mechanical, and textile engineering curricula.
- Dean Adams made a commitment to help those men whom had to postpone their education
to go to war, so they could finish their degrees and find work in the emerging industries.
1949 - 1955 : Dean Dysart Edgar Holcomb
- Enrollment in textile engineering diminished as other disciplines increased in popularity.
- Dean Holcomb transferred agricultural engineering studies from the School of Agriculture.
1955 - 1982 : Dean John Ross Bradford
- Dean Bradford set out goals for the school:
- Accreditation for all departments,
- Development of graduate programs leading to Ph.D.s, and
- The establishment of a strong research program.
- The Engineering Option, which created an engineering physics baccalaureate degree,
was transferred from physics to engineering.
- The School of Engineering received its first computer unit, an IBM 1620. Soon afterward,
Texas Tech received two more units on loan from the United States Air Force, along
with a research contract from Holloman AFB.
- February 1958:
- The Institute of Science and Engineering (ISE) was established as a channel where
gift funds and fees from research projects could replenish the growing research organization.
- The ISE provided state funds and money for a water resources study.
- Dean Bradford created the first interdisciplinary Ph.D. program in in the Southwestern
- Bradford's efforts led to an increase in quality faculty, the overhauling of the curricula,
and the adoption of the core curriculum for freshmen and sophomores.
- Chemical engineering and chemistry were separated to enable the accreditation of chemical
- A Master of Engineering degree was created.
- The Department of Petroleum Engineering was accredited.
- The new chemical engineering building opened.
- Arnold J. Gully was hired as chair of Chemical Engineering.
- The Water Resources Center was created.
- WIN (Western Information Network), conceived by Dean Bradford, was created by the
Texas State legislature through House Bill 692. It was a cooperative endeavor among
18 institutions of higher education in West Texas.
- The International Textile Symposium brought research funding and initiated the Textile
- Arnold J. Gully became the associate dean for research and graduate studies. The college
implemented his concept of collaborative research and created the following centers:
- Textile Research Center
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Institute for Environmental Technology
- Institute for Systems Analysis
- Institute for Energy Research Created
- Other research endeavors fell under the aegis of the Institute for University Research,
which was much broader in scope.
- September 1, 1969:
- The name of the college was changed from Texas Technological College to Texas Tech
- Engineering Technology was created, which emphasized the application of existing technology.
- The Institute for Disaster Research was created.
- The Department of Engineering Analysis and Design was created.
- 1970 - 1972:
- The administration of the college moved to the old College of Architecture building,
which became the Engineering Center.
- Early 1970s:
- The Pulsed Power Research Center was created for plasma research which began in 1966.
1982 - 1984 : Interim Dean Jimmy H. Smith
1984 - 1994 : Dean Mason Somerville
- The Texas Tech Research Foundation and its engineering affiliate, the Center for Advanced
Research and Engineering were established.
1995 - 1998 : Dean Jorge I. Aunon
1998 - 1999 : Interim Dean Kishor Mehta
1999 - 2002 : Dean William M. Marcy
2002 - 2004 : Interim Dean James L. Smith
2004 - 2009 : Dean Pamela A. Eibeck
- Dr. Kishor Mehta was inducted into the National Academy of Engineering.
- The college received $9.35 million from AT&T and the Texas Emerging Technology Fund
to attract a world-class nanophotonics research team, which includes Drs. Hongxing
Jiang, Jingyu Lin, and Zhaoyang Fan.
- The College of Engineering is renamed the Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering
in honor of Ed Whitacre's longstanding support of Texas Tech University.
- The J. F Maddox Foundation donates $7.5 million in honor of Donovan Maddox.
2009 - 2010 : Interim Dean Jon C. Strauss
- The Department of Engineering Technology is renamed the Department of Construction
Engineering and Engineering Technology.
- A new Master of Science in Bioengineering is created.
2011 - Present : Dean Albert Sacco Jr.