Communications Operators provide the emergency link between the community and police officers. They provide the community with 911, emergency blue phone, and administrative phone lines response by dispatching police and/or guards to the situation requested.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org about the positions and salaries with the Texas Tech Police Department or contact Captain Amy Ivey or Lieutenant Chris Patterson at 806-742-3931.
Requires completion of high school or equivalent. Must be a U.S. citizen with a valid driver's license who is at least 18 years of age. Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation, physical examination, and psychological examination.
- Holiday: State holidays assigned yearly (example: 15 given for fiscal year)
- Vacation: 8 -21 hours per month depending on length of service
- Sick: 8 hours per month
- Teacher Retirement System of Texas - (Required)
- Health Benefits: BCBS Texas (Paid by State for employee)
- $500 Annual Clothing Allowance
- Educational Tuition Assistance Program: TTU exempts employees from tuition and fees for one course per term up to a maximum of four semester credit hours (SCH) during any fall, spring, or summer term
- Educational Incentive Pay (Degree earned after employment) $1,000 Bachelor/Master and $500 Associate Degree
Eligible employees are paid $20 per month for every two years of lifetime service credit and receive an increase for each additional two years of service, up to and including 42 years of service in accordance with the Texas Government Code, Section 659.044.
- Basic Telecommunicator Certifcation - N/A
- Intermediate Telecommunicator Certification - $500
- Advanced Telecommunicator Certification - $1,000
- Master Telecommunicator Certifcation - $1,500
Field Training Program
The Field Training Program is a 15-week process. Trainees will spend a minimum of 4 weeks on each shift. Once released, a Communications Operator will be placed on a shift.
After being released from training, Communications Operators have the opportunity to work sporting events, concerts, and other overtime events at Texas Tech.
There is one Communications Supervisor for each shift.
Ready to Apply?
Before filling out any forms, you must apply for a position at http://www.texastech.edu/careers/
The forms below will be sent to an applicant once the department has received the application. Both forms below must be filled out entirely. Do not leave anything blank and follow the instructions completely.