All-Girl Cheer Tryouts
Saturday, May 3 - Sunday, May 4
The All-Girl Cheer Squad is comprised of talented female cheerleaders.
The All-Girl Squad performs at home football games, women's home volleyball games, and women's & men's home basketball games. In addition, All-Girl Cheer will the have opportunity to travel to post season football bowl games, Big 12 tournament basketball games, and NCAA/NIT basketball tournament games. The squad also represents Texas Tech at many university and community events throughout the year. All-Girl Cheerleaders will receive the same benefits as the other Spirit Squad members.
Tryouts are closed to the public.
Female participants must choose which squad to tryout for - CoEd or All-Girl. Tryouts happen at the same time. At end of tryouts, Coach has right to change and award position on opposite squad if needed and sees a better fit.
What's the difference between squads? All-Girl is consisted of all-female cheerleaders stunting in female groups. CoEd consists of male and female cheerleaders with the males stunting with the female flyers.
Cheerleaders will NOT be able to participate in Fall Sorority Recruitment activities.
- Completed Tryout Application by May 1.
- Freshman/Transfer Students - Accepted to TTU for 2014-2015 academic year
- Current TTU students:
- Enrolled full time (Undergraduate: 12 hours, Graduate: 9 hours)
- Cumulative & Current GPA of 2.0 or above
- Current Health Insurance (a copy of insurance card must be sent in with application)
- Pay Tryout Application Fee ($50 - nonrefundable)
*NEW THIS YEAR!
A Tryout Material Video Link will be posted on social media outlets on Friday, April 25 at 4:00 pm CST. This material includes gameday/spirit section Fight Song routine and sideline chants. Material will be expected to be learned prior to tryout date.
Tryout Application :: Deadline Thursday, May 1
The tryout application is an online form. Please click link below to complete application. Your Acceptance Letter or Transcript and copy of health insurance card can be uploaded within form. If unable to upload, you can mail documents prior to tryouts or bring with you. A completed application will be required before you're able to participate in tryouts.
Tryout Updates & Results will be posted via Social Media:
Mailing Address for application fee and required documents:
Texas Tech Cheer | Box 45014 | Lubbock, TX 79409
Having problems with application? Send Email
All-Girl Tryout Attire
|Black Spandex Shorts|
|Solid Black Fitted Top or Sports Bra
(small logos are acceptable)
|2 1/4 inch White Grosgrain Ribbon|
|Hair 1/2 up, curled|
All-Girl Cheer Tryout Schedule*
|Friday, May 2||6:00-9:00 PM||Optional Open Practice||United Spirit Arena
|Saturday, May 3
|8:00 AM||Co-Ed & All-Girl Prelim Tryouts
Check In /Warm-Up
|United Spirit Arena
|8:30 AM||Mandatory Information Meeting & Practice||United Spirit Arena|
|9:00 AM||Preliminary Tryouts Begin||United Spirit Arena|
|~12:30 PM||Semi-Finalists Posted||Online | Social Media|
|Sunday, May 4
Semi-Final & Final Tryouts
|8:00 AM||All-Girl Semi-Finalists Check In/Warm-Up||United Spirit Arena|
|8:30 AM||All-Girl Semi-Final Tryouts Begin||United Spirit Arena|
|10:30 AM||All-Girl Finalists Interview||United Spirit Arena|
|12:00 PM||All-Girl Tryouts Conclude||United Spirit Arena|
|~3:00 PM||New Squad Posted &
New Team Meetings
|United Spirit Arena|
* Times Subject to Change.
Updates will be posted on Tech Cheer Facebook page.
Note, the Optional Open Gym Practice does NOT affect Tryout Score. This is time for you to come to gym and work on skills. No material will be taught.
Female Participants trying out for Co-Ed may get invitations to attend All-Girl Tryout Call-Back. Invitations will be given at tryouts by Coach. Not guaranteed.
Video tryouts will not be accepted this year. Please contact Coach Bills if you have questions.
Tryout Format & Skill Sections
Preliminary Tryouts :: Saturday, May 3
- Standing Tumbling
- Standing Back Tuck (or full)
- Toe Touch - Back Tuck (or full)
- Gameday Spirit & Motion Technique
- Running Tumbling
- One Pass - must be round-off back handspring back tuck level or better
Semi-Final & Final Tryouts :: Sunday, May 4
- Stunts - (groups must be with participants trying out - no outside stunt groups are allowed)
- Two-person base stunts preferred (main base & side base lifting top person)
- Toss Awesome, pop-off dismount
- Hands/Prep-Level or Toss to Extended Stretch with Double Down dismount
- Stunt Groups can be formed at College Prep Clinics or night before tryout open gym.
- Additional stunt entries may be asked for any call-backs, if necessary.
Includes, but not limited to, Full-Up, Ball-Up, or Rewinds.
- Final Skill Review/Call-Backs & Personal Interview
- Personal interview with panel judges
- Additional tumbling and/or stunts may be asked for any call-backs, if necessary.
Stunts Includes, but not limited to, Full-Up, Ball-Up, or Rewinds. Tumbling might include elite level standing and/or running passes.
All-Girl Tryout Participants will be expected to be available for the following time periods:
- Saturday, May 3:
- 8:00 am - 12:30 pm (preliminary tryouts)
- Sunday, May 4:
- 8:00 am - 1:00 pm (semi-final & final tryouts) and
- Approximately 3:00-4:00 pm (new team meeting)
Traveling Planning Tip -
Do not schedule flights out before 5:00 pm. (given you make through full tryout process)
Cuts will be made throughout tryout process, both days.
Final selection of squad members will be posted after scores are tallied at end of tryouts.
2014 All-GIRL Tryouts
Friday, May 2:
Optional Open Gym Practice
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
United Spirit Arena
Saturday, May 3:
Check In at 8:00 AM
United Spirit Arena
Sunday, May 4:
Semi-Finals & Final Tryouts
Check In at 8:00 AM
United Spirit Arena
- Cheer Expectations >>
- Cheer Tryout Application >>
- Please read entire tryout page for tryout schedule & details.
- Download PDF of Tryout Format
Follow tryout updates
The Tech Cheer Squad will have practices this summer. Attendance is mandatory for squad members.
- All-Girl Summer Practices:
July 18 - July 22
- School Report Day:
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers are Here!
Cheer Program Benefits
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Out of State Tuition Waiver
- Uniform & Accessories Paid
- Paid Travel Expenses for out of town games
- Academic Tutoring
- Meal Plan
- Athletic Trainer & Team Doctor
- Strength & Conditioning Program
- Tanning & Skin Care Sponsor
- Cheer for a Big 12 Conference School
- Supportive Alumni