All-Girl Cheer Tryouts
The All-Girl Cheer Squad is comprised of talented female cheerleaders.
The All-Girl Squad performs at home football games, women's home volleyball games,
women's home basketball games, and women's soccer games. In addition, All-Girl Cheer
will the have opportunity to travel to post season football bowl games, Big 12 tournament
basketball games, and NCAA/NIT basketball tournament games. The squad also represents
Texas Tech at many university and community events throughout the year. All-Girl Cheerleaders
will receive the same benefits as the other Spirit Squad members.
2016 All-Girl Tryouts
Optional Open Gym Practice (not required, highly recommended)
Friday, May 6 | 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
United Supermarkets Arena
Cheer Tryouts (attendance mandatory)
Saturday, May 7 - Sunday, May 8
United Supermarkets Arena
Tryout Application | Tryout Schedule Overview
Cheer Program Benefits
- $1,000 Leadership Scholarship Opportunities
- Out of State Tuition Waiver
- Uniforms, Workout Clothes, and Accessories Paid
- Paid Travel Expenses for out of town games
- Academic Tutoring
- Meal Plan
- Athletic Trainer & Team Doctor
- Strength & Conditioning Program
- Tanning & Skin Care Sponsor
- Eyelash Extensions & Eyebrow Threading Sponsor
- Cheer for a Big 12 Conference School
- Supportive Cheer Alumni
Female participants must choose which squad to tryout for - CoEd or All-Girl. Tryouts
happen at the same time. At end of tryouts, Coach has right to change and award position
on opposite squad if needed and sees a better fit.
What's the difference between squads? All-Girl is consisted of all-female cheerleaders stunting in female groups. CoEd consists of male and female cheerleaders with the males stunting with the female
Cheerleaders will NOT be able to participate in Fall Sorority Recruitment activities.
2016 Tryout Requirements
- Freshman/Transfer Students
Must be Accepted to TTU for 2016-2017 academic year
- Current TTU students:
- Enrolled full time (Undergraduate: 12 hours, Graduate: 9 hours)
- Cumulative & Current GPA of 2.0 or above
- Current Health Insurance
(a copy of insurance card must be presented at tryout check-in)
- Pay Tryout Application Fee ($50 - nonrefundable)
All-Girl Tryout Attire
- Black Spandex Shorts
- Solid Black Fitted Top or Sports Bra
(small logos are acceptable)
- Cheer Shoes
- 2 1/4 inch White Grosgrain Ribbon
- Hair 1/2 up, curled
- Make-Up Gameday Ready, collegiate image (no glitter)
Tryout Format & Skill Sections
Preliminary Tryouts (morning, Saturday, May 7)
- Standing Tumbling
- Standing Back Tuck (or full)
- Toe Touch - Back Tuck (or full)
- Additional Standing Tumbling Pass
- Gameday Spirit & Motion Technique
- Fight Song & Sideline Chant
- Looking for sharp motions and ability to lead the crowd
- Running Tumbling
- Two Running Tumbling Passes - must be round-off back handspring back tuck level or
Semi-Final Tryouts (mid-day, Saturday, May 7)
- Stunts - (groups must be with participants trying out - no outside stunt groups are allowed)
- Two-person base stunt group (main base & side base lifting top person)
- Hands/Prep-Level press (or toss) to Lib, pop-off dismount
- Toss Extension or Lib, pop-off dismount
- Three-person base stunt group (main, side, back bases)
- Full-Up entry into Stretch with Double Down
- Stunt Groups can be formed at open gym night before tryouts.
- Additional stunt entries may be asked for any call-backs, if necessary.
Includes, but not limited to, Full-Up, Ball-Up, or Rewinds.
- Stunt Partners will first be chosen by stunt group, Coach may create stunt groups
for additional skill evaluations.
FINAL TRYOUTS (morning, Sunday, May 8)
- Final Skill Review/Call-Backs & Personal Interview
- Gameday Performance
Learning a short sideline-routine/chant & performing after short practice; may includes
tumbling & stunting skills.
- Running & Standing Tumbling
Tumbling might include elite level standing and/or running passes.
- Group Stunts (two-person base & three-person base)
Stunts Includes, but not limited to, Extended-Tosses, Full-Up, Ball-Up, Low-High,
Full-Around, Rewinds; flyers showing body positions.
- Personal Interview with panel judges.
Cuts will be made throughout tryout process, both days.
Final selection of squad members will be posted after scores are tallied at end of
Recommendation for flights leaving tryouts to not book prior to Sunday at 4:00 PM.
Those making new squad will have team meeting at approximately 3:00 PM or following
tryouts. Tryout times subject to change.
The All-Girl Cheer Squad will have practices during the summer. Attendance is mandatory for squad members.
||Practice Details & Location:
|August 18-20, 2016
||Camp & Skill Development, Lubbock
|August 21-27, 2016
||Work Week, Lubbock
Frequently Asked Questions
Get the Answers Here
Bruce Bills, Cheer Coach