Co-Ed Cheer Tryouts
The Texas Tech Co-Ed Cheer Squad is comprised of up to 32 talented male and female cheerleaders.
The Co-Ed Cheer Squad perform at all football games, women's home volleyball games, and men's and women's home basketball games. In addition, the Co-Ed Cheerleaders will the have opportunity to travel to post season football bowl games, Big 12 tournament basketball games, and NCAA/NIT basketball tournament games. The squad also represents Texas Tech at many university and community events throughout the year. Co-Ed Cheer Squad will also have opportunity to represent Texas Tech at NCA College Nationals.
Tryouts are closed to the public.
Female participants must choose which squad to tryout for - Co-Ed or All-Girl. Tryouts happen at the same time. At end of tryouts, Coach has right to change and award position on opposite squad if needed and sees a better fit.
What's the difference between squads? All-Girl is consisted of all-female cheerleaders stunting in female groups. Co-Ed consists of male and female cheerleaders with the males stunting with the female flyers.
- Freshman/Transfer Students - Accepted to TTU for 2014-2015 academic year
- Current TTU students:
- Enrolled full time (Undergraduate: 12 hours, Graduate: 9 hours)
- Cumulative & Current GPA of 2.0 or above
- Current Health Insurance (a copy of insurance card must be sent in with application)
- Pay Tryout Application Fee ($50 - nonrefundable)
*Please note, there is not a Cheer Tryout Material Video. Other than your skills, all material needed for tryouts will be taught at tryouts.
Cheerleaders will NOT be able to participate in Fall Sorority or Fraternity Recruitment/Rush activities.
|Female Cheerleaders||Male Cheerleaders|
|Black Spandex Shorts||Solid Black Athletic Shorts|
|Solid Black Sports Bra
(small logos are acceptable)
|Plain Black T-Shirt
(graphics to the minimum)
|Cheer Shoes||Clean Shaven|
|2 1/4 inch White Grosgrain Ribbon||Athletic Shoes/Cheer Shoes|
|Hair 1/2 up, curled|
Recommended Skills and Tryout Format
- Standing Tumbling (back tucks required)
- Jumps to Tumbling (max of 3 jumps to back handspringback tuck level or better)
- Additional Standing Tumbling
- Running Tumbling (must be back handspring back tuck level or better)
- Stunts - (partners must be with someone trying out - no outside stunt partners are allowed; females MUST tryout as flyer position)
- Two Stunts - judged on execution and difficulty level
- Use variations for entry into stunts (full ups, toss, ball-ups, rewinds, front handspring up, etc). Stunt entries are up to stunt couple.
- Females: 2 stunts, showing front flexibility (stretch, over-stretch) and back flexibility (scale, scorpion, arabesque) with Double Down
- Males: 2 stunts, showing difficulty and variation of entries into stunts
- Stunt Partners can be formed at College Prep Clinics or night before tryout open gym.
- Gameday Spirit & Motion Technique
- All Material will be taught at tryouts. Looking for sharp motions and ability to lead the crowd
- Fight Song & Sideline Chant
- Basket Toss
- Optional Elite Collegiate Level Basket Toss
- Final Call Back/Interview
- Personal interview with panel judges (used to clear up any concerns, skill checks, etc)
Cuts will be made throughout tryout process.
Final selection of squad members will be posted after scores are tallied at end of tryouts.
College Prep Clinic
- Saturday, February 22, 2014
- Registration & Information >>
Meet this year's squad
Friday, May 2:
Optional Open Gym Practice
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
United Spirit Arena
Saturday, May 3:
8:00 am - 8:00 pm
United Spirit Arena
Tryout Applications & finalized detailed information released and available in January.
Follow tryout updates
The Tech Cheer Squad will have practices throughout the summer. Attendance is mandatory. Exact dates will be posted in January.
- Work Weekend: (Lubbock)
Mid-June (Friday & Saturday)
- Pre-Camp Practices: (Lubbock)
Mid-July (4-day practice)
- Camp: (Dallas)
Mid/End of July (3 days)
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers are Here!
Cheer Program Benefits
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Out of State Tuition Waiver
- Uniform & Accessories Paid
- Paid Travel Expenses for out of town games
- Academic Tutoring
- Meal Plan
- Athletic Trainer & Team Doctor
- Strength & Conditioning Program
- Tanning & Skin Care Sponsor
- National Competition
- Cheer for a Big 12 Conference School
- Supportive Alumni