Co-Ed Cheer Tryouts
The Texas Tech Co-Ed Cheer Squad is comprised of up to 32 talented male and female cheerleaders.
The Co-Ed Cheer Squad perform at all football games, women's home volleyball games, and men's and women's home basketball games. In addition, the Co-Ed Cheerleaders will the have opportunity to travel to post season football bowl games, Big 12 tournament basketball games, and NCAA/NIT basketball tournament games. The squad also represents Texas Tech at many university and community events throughout the year. Co-Ed Cheer Squad will also have opportunity to represent Texas Tech at NCA College Nationals.
Tryouts are closed to the public.
Thank you to all that participated in this year's tryout.
- Freshman/Transfer Students - Accepted to TTU for 2013-2014 academic year
- Current TTU students:
- Enrolled full time (Undergraduate: 12 hours, Graduate: 9 hours)
- Cumulative & Current GPA of 2.0 or above
- Current Health Insurance (a copy of insurance card must be sent in with application)
- Pay Tryout Application Fee ($50 - nonrefundable)
*Please note, there is not a Cheer Tryout Material Video. Other than your skills, all material needed for tryouts will be taught at tryouts.
Cheerleaders will NOT be able to participate in Fall Sorority or Fraternity Recruitment/Rush activities.
|Female Cheerleaders||Male Cheerleaders|
|Black Spandex Shorts||Solid Black Athletic Shorts|
|Solid Black Sports Bra
(small logos are acceptable)
|Plain Black T-Shirt
(graphics to the minimum)
|Cheer Shoes||Clean Shaven|
|2 1/4 inch White Grosgrain Ribbon||Athletic Shoes/Cheer Shoes|
|Hair 1/2 up, curled|
Recommended Skills and Tryout format
- Standing Tumbling (back tucks required)
- Jumps to Tumbling (limit to 3 jumps)
- Additional Standing Tumbling
- Running Tumbling (must be back handspring back tuck level or better)
- Basket Toss
- Optional Elite Collegiate Level Basket Toss
- Stunts - (partners must be with someone trying out - no outside stunt partners are allowed)
- Two Stunts - judged on execution and difficulty level
- Use variations for entry into stunts (full ups, toss, ball-ups, rewinds, front handspring up, etc)
- Females: 2 stunts, showing front flexibility (stretch, over-stretch) and back flexibility (scale, scorpion, arabesque) with Double Down
- Males: 2 stunts, showing difficulty and entry into stunts
- Gameday Spirit & Motion Technique
- All Material will be taught at tryouts. Looking for sharp motions and ability to lead the crowd
- Fight Song & Sideline Chant
- During Finals Only - 3 minute personal interview with panel judges
Cheer Tryout Information
Follow tryout updates
The 2013-2014 Tech Cheer Squad will have practices throughout the summer. Below are dates to have scheduled, pending you make squad:
- Work Weekend: (Lubbock)
- Pre-Camp Practices: (Lubbock)
- Camp: (Dallas)
These dates are MANDATORY attendance for new squad. More details will be given to new squad following tryouts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers are Here!
Cheer Program Benefits
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Out of State Tuition Waiver
- Uniform & Accessories Paid
- Paid Travel Expenses for out of town games
- Academic Tutoring
- Meal Plan
- Athletic Trainer & Team Doctor
- Strength & Conditioning Program
- Tanning & Skin Care Sponsor
- National Competition
- Cheer for a Big 12 Conference School
- Supportive Alumni