Apparel Design and Manufacturing
Bachelor of Science in Apparel Design and Manufacturing
Texas Tech University offers one of the Southwest's top ten fashion design bachelor's degrees, according to the prominent clothing industry website Fashion-schools.org. The same website ranks Texas Tech as one of the strongest fashion design schools in the nation.
Launch your career with a nationally ranked fashion design degree.
Our accredited Bachelor's Degree in Apparel Design and Manufacturing provides you with a smooth transition into the fashion industry. You will enjoy extensive one-on-one attention from faculty, receiving strong guidance and mentorship. You will make real garments, not just drawings, while gaining a detailed understanding of the entire design and manufacturing process, from initial drawings to finished products.
You will develop superior creative skills in Texas Tech's apparel design program, showcasing your talent and acquiring a strong foundation for your career as a clothing designer. Most important, a fashion degree from Texas Tech helps you make a strong impression on employers. Our accredited fashion design program has a national reputation, enabling you to compete for the best jobs in the clothes production industry.
Our Apparel Design and Manufacturing degree provides you with:
- Extensive workplace experience. The fashion design bachelor's degree program includes a 180-200-hour internship. We often place interns with major apparel design companies in Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, and London, and the internship frequently leads directly to a job offer.
- A marketable fashion design degree. Texas Tech graduates have high rates of job placement and graduate school admission. Our program enoys a strong reputation within the clothing design industry, and our faculty are well connected. You will have opportunities to meet successful designers, see their studios, and interact with them first-hand.
- Business training. You will take courses in marketing, retailing, accounting, management and fashion design industry essentials. Texas Tech's fashion design majors stand out in the job market for their strong business sense and entrepreneurial savvy.
- Advanced fashion design technology. At Texas Tech you will design clothing with the aid of [TC]2 body scanners, state-of-the-art software, and other innovative technologies such as a3D OptiTex virtual design tool. In addition, you will work with Gerber pattern-making software systems, and you will learn to generate drawing specs and technical packages for production in Adobe Illustrator.
- Exhibition opportunities. Texas Tech hosts two professional fashion design shows on campus. In addition, our students have submitted winning entries in national and regional competitions such as Fashion Group International, Dallas Career Day, and the Denim Runway Project.
- Research and travel opportunities. You will take field trips to New York, Los Angeles, London, Paris, and other fashion industry capitals for competitions, trade shows and field study.
Acquire Marketable Skills With Our Fashion Design Bachelor's Degree
Texas Tech's fashion design courses emphasize knowledge and techniques that matter to employers. You will get practical, hands-on training in techniques such as:
- Pattern making
- Pattern grading and marking
- Fashion illustration
- Product development
- Trend analysis
- Production methods
- Computer pattern making
The fashion design program provides you with opportunities to create and produce your own clothing lines, research and apply trends, manage product development, and explore fashion design niches such as theatrical costumes.
Career Opportunities in Fashion Design
Graduates from our Apparel Design and Manufacturing Degree program have an outstanding record of success in the job market.
Our flexible bachelor's degree in fashion prepares you for a wide range of fashion careers. You will be qualified for jobs such as:
- Fashion designer
- Technical designer
- Fashion buyer
- Pattern maker
- Trend analyst
- Fashion merchandiser
Apparel Design and Manufacturing Degree Accreditation
The Bachelor's Degree in Apparel Design and Manufacturing is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.