Department of Design
Minimum Laptop Computer Requirements
The laptop should meet or exceed the following specifications:
- Processor: 4th or 5th generation Intel® Core™ i7 quad-core processor, 2.0Ghz or greater
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 512GB SSD (Solid State Disk) or SSHD (Hybrid Disk)
- Display: 15 inch or larger, 1920x1080 or higher resolution
- Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M or AMD Radeon 8770M 
- Networking: Wireless 802.11N and Ethernet adapter
- Operating System: Windows 8.1, or OSX Mavericks or Yosemite
- Warranty: 3 years or greater
- Recovery: OS installation media
- Backup: external hard drive
- When comparing laptop components, visit notebookcheck.net to compare CPUs and GPUs with those in the specification.
- Unlike desktop computers, laptops do not allow the addition of new video hardware.
For the laptop to be capable of running the 3D software applications used in our program,
it is important to choose a video card that meets or exceeds the minimum specifications.
No laptops with only an Intel video card meet these requirements.
Apple Macintosh Computers
The 15 inch and 17 inch Macbook Pro laptops exceed the specifications for the minimum
computer requirement. Software programs required for use in some courses are only
available on Microsoft Windows. To use this software, Windows will have to be installed on the laptop. Students are
responsible for obtaining, installing, and maintaining operating systems on their
Financial Aid Application for purchasing a laptop
In Microsoft Word format
In Adobe Acrobat format
Discounted laptops for TTU Students
Dell University Program
Software available to students for free or low cost
Site-licensed software (Microsoft Office)
AutoDesk Education Community (AutoCAD, Revit)
Assistance with computer problems
For computer support visit the TTU IT help website or call 742-4357.
Limited support is available from the Department of Design IT staff.