- Ph.D., Zoology, University of Colorado at Boulder (1988)
- M.A., Zoology, University of Colorado at Boulder (1986)
- B.S., Zoology, Rutgers (1982)
We are interested in how hormones modulate adaptive features of the stress response. Current research projects include:
- Visual system targets for satiety signals.
- Stress hormone modulation of visuomotor processing.
- Corticotropin-releasing factor regulation of autonomic and cardiovascular function.
We also are interested in the potential impact of endocrine disrupting chemicals on the health of amphibian populations. Current projects include:
- Perchlorate disruption of epithelial iodide transport and thyroid function.
- EDC effects on the endocrine stress axis and reproduction.
- Carr, J.A., 2010. Stress and Reproduction in Amphibians. In "Hormones and Reproduction of Vertebrates, Vol. 2" (D. O. Norris and K. H. Lopez, eds.), pp. 99-116, San Diego, Elsevier.
- Smith, E.E., Carr, J.A., Wages, M., Wang, J-F., Murali, S., and Kendall, R.J., 2012. Response of larval frogs to Corexit 9500 exposure. Toxicol. Environ. Chem., 94, 1199-1210.
- Carr, J.A., Li, W., Gao, M., Garcia, C., Lustgarten, J., Wages, M., Smith, E.E., Zhang, B., 2013. An intrinsic CRF signaling system within the optic tectum. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., 188, 204-211.
- Norris, D.O., Carr, J.A., 2013. Vertebrate Endocrinology, 5th Ed. Elsevier.
- Sharma, B., Hu, F., Carr, J.A., Patiño, R., 2015. Water quality and amphibian health in the Big Bend region of the Rio Grande basin. Texas J. Sci. 63, 233-266.
- Carr, J.A., Murali, S., Hu, F., Goleman, W.L., Carr, D.L., Anderson, T.A., Smith, E.E., Wages, M. 2014. Changes in gastric sodium-iodide symporter (NIS) activity are associated with differences in thyroid gland sensitivity to perchlorate during metamorphosis. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., in press.
- Carr, J.A., Lovejoy, D.A., Eds. 2015. Energy Metabolism and Behavior in the Corticotropin-releasing Factor Family of Peptides. Front. Neurosci. E-Book, in press.
- Neumann-Lee, L., Carr, J.A., Vaughn, K., French. S., 2015. Physiological effects of polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE-47) on pregnant garter snakes and resulting offspring. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol., in press.
- Carr, J.A., Lovejoy, D.A., 2015. Energy metabolism and behavior in the corticotropin-releasing factor family of peptides. Front. Neurosci., in press.