Amanda Castro selected as summer banner bearer for August graduation ceremony
What is your major?
- My major is Human Sciences with three concentrations in Human Sciences, Human Development & Family Sciences, and Psychology.
What is your hometown?
- I am from Long Beach, California.
Why did you choose your major?
- Originally, I was going into Pre-Education to teach, but after Covid-19 and being pregnant with my fourth child, I needed more flexibility and Human Sciences provided that. It fit the criteria that I needed, to give me an opportunity to have more options, and tailor it to my interests and education path.
What stands out about the College of Human Sciences?
- As the world is changing around us, I felt like I needed to be more ambitious and change my perspective and thought process. The flexibility that is incorporated into the College of Human Sciences, helped me discover and enhance my strengths and encouraged me to see the potential in myself. Which makes the college stand out because they help empower you as an individual.
What does it feel like to be selected as the Banner Bearer for the College of Human Sciences?
- It is truly an honor and an amazing privilege, to be selected as the Banner Bearer for my college. I feel like I matter, and being selected has made me appreciate the determination and impact that the College of Human Sciences signifies.
How will the skills and knowledge that you have gained in the College of Human Sciences benefit your future?
- The skills and knowledge that I was able to absorb and discover, are currently impacting me now within my family and the people around me. Mental health is very important for everyone's well-being and obtaining information on human behavior and development plays a crucial role in helping me learn to assist people in explaining their behavior and being able to manage it. This will help me further my education path and a career in the mental health industry.
What do you most enjoy or appreciate about the College of Human Sciences?
- I appreciate the investment, that the College of Human Sciences provides because they truly care about the success in their students. The academic path they help students create, along with the career avenue to pursue, is only a step forward for many accomplishments to take place. I am grateful for the professors that influenced me, along with Ashlee W. Brown, Ph.D., for her unconditional support and assistance with my academic pathway.
What are your career plans/next steps?
- My next step is to pursue a master's degree in Counseling Psychology. I applied to Pepperdine University because I truly admire their work and the passion behind what they stand for. I plan on becoming a licensed professional counselor, to help promote resilience and help people manage healthier ways to cope with their emotions. Texas Tech most definitely had an involvement in the opportunities I've been blessed to experience, and I will forever be grateful for that!