Andrea Lara selected as spring banner bearer for May graduation ceremony
What is your major?
- Nutrition Pre-Professional Health, minor in Biology, Chemistry, and Spanish.
What is your hometown?
- My family and I are originally from Monterrey, Mexico but moved to Plainview, Texas about 18 years ago.
Why did you choose your major?
- The second I stepped foot into the College of Human Sciences during freshman orientation I knew I was exactly where I needed to be. With the COHS being smaller compared to other colleges at Texas Tech I was overwhelmed with the one on one support and guidance I was given by my professors, and advisors. I was not 100% sure what it was that I wanted to major in but I knew my end goal was to become a physician. I then got interested in nutrition when having a conversation with my dad. Also when looking into the nutrition major I heard very positive feedback and it was highly recommended from students. There are a couple of reasons why such as it is very applicable to my everyday life and will continue to be, and I feel as though it will be a huge asset in the medical field one day. I want to be a well-rounded physician and I believe nutrition and a Master's in Public Health will be a great combination. I am so grateful to my advisor Dolores Salas for the constant support and guidance she has given me throughout my four years at Texas Tech.
What does it feel like to be selected as the Banner Bearer for the College of Human Sciences?
- There is one word that I feel truly describes what it feels to be selected to be Banner Bearer and it is “honored”. I am extremely honored to be chosen and trusted to represent the College of Human Sciences. Especially honored to represent the most amazing students, faculty and staff. This is another of the many opportunities the College of Human Sciences has given me. It is a very rewarding feeling to be given this honor. This is a memory I will cherish forever. Thank you COHS for recognizing me and allowing me this opportunity.
What do you most enjoy or appreciate about the College of Human Sciences?
- The College of Human Sciences is truly outstanding! My professors have taught me and provided me the tools to succeed in class, and outside of the classroom. To feel empowered and valuable as my professors have made me feel is something I believe every student should feel. I have made friendships that will last a lifetime during my time in the College of Human Sciences and I will always be thankful.
What are your career plans/next steps?
- In the Fall of 2023, I will begin my Master of Public Health at the TTUHSC School of Population and Public Health.