When applying for a research grant or a study scholarship, you are expected to hand in a "detailed and precise description of study or research proposal as well as information on any previous study or research projects of particular relevance to a decision of award."
The purpose of the proposal is to ensure that the candidates have done sufficient preliminary reading/research in the area of their interest that they have thought about the issues involved and are able to provide more than a broad description of the topic which they are planning to research.
Write a Research Proposal
- Does the proposal present a clear plan of study or research?
- Does the proposal link the research to broader social, national, or global issues?
- Does the proposal demonstrate a command of resources/facilities needed to accomplish the plan?
- Does the proposal demonstrate possession of the skill/ knowledge necessary to undertake the plan?
- Does the plan, study, or research build upon past experiences or future goals in a clear and convincing manner?
"Art of Writing Proposals SSRC Guide"
These recommendations do not guarantee a successful research application. They are intended to help you conceptualize and prepare a research proposal, giving the process structure and a timetable for you to develop. Good luck!
Prestigious External Student Awards
AddressPrestigious External Student Awards, Box 41017, Lubbock, TX 79409-1017