The Mitchell Scholarship Program, named to honor former US Senator George Mitchell's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service. Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Applicants are judged on three criteria:
- leadership, and
- a sustained commitment to community and public service.
details obtained from the national The Mitchell Scholarship website
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on September 28 of the year of the application
- Have a bachelor's degree before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar.
How to Apply
Submit Notice of Intent The Notice of Intent (NOI) Form must be completed and submitted as soon as possible via email at email@example.com in order to initiate the application process. All applicants must be endorsed by their university in order to apply. The NOI is the first step in alerting the NISF office that a student is seeking endorsement.
Online Application Students must register online to access the application. TTU students must complete the online application and all application components including recommendation letters by the internal deadline of September 3, 2018. DO NOT use the submit button but instead list Wendoli Flores as the fellowship advisor on your application to provide read-only access to the application.
- Online application including list of activities, honors and accomplishments
- Personal statement (1,000 words maximum)
- Four letters of recommendation
- University transcripts (Unofficial transcripts will be acceptable.)
- Passport-style photo (PDF)
- A scan of your signature (PDF)
- Institutional Endorsement
Internal Review for Endorsement An internal review committee will review applications and interview applicants after applicant submission. If endorsed, applicants will have an opportunity to revise application materials based on the feedback received from the committee.
Final Submission Final applications are due by September 28, 2018. The NISF office will provide guidance on this final step. DO NOT use the submit button on the Mitchell application until this has been cleared with the NISF director.
TTU Campus Mitchell Fellowship Advisor
Wendoli Flores, M.S.
National and International Scholarships and Fellowships