Successful applicants map out a timeline to graduation to think about the classes and extracurricular activities they need/want and figure out when they fit. Here is a helpful guide:
- Map out a timeline to graduation. Think about the classes and extracurricular activities you need/want and figure out when they fit. Remember to have FUN while you work.
- Investigate interesting, well-taught courses, including upper-division, and find out when they are offered.
- Get to know your advisor, professors, others across campus.
- Seek out a mentor.
- Actively seek out opportunities to talk with your mentor, faculty, and others about academic, career, social interests and ideas.
- Try out different clubs and organizations on campus. See Campus Life for opportunities.
- Find out about research and/or independent study possibilities.
- Investigate awards given to graduating seniors and figure out which one(s) you want.
- Contact the NISF Office to talk about external scholarships and other award opportunities.
- Continue to take challenging and interesting classes. Try to take small research-focused seminars and/or those offering unique opportunities.
- Complete lower-division requirements and start taking upper-division classes.
- Engage in research.
- Develop a sense of those extra-curricular and community activities in which you are most interested.
- Study Abroad: start planning now for a trip in your Junior/Senior year.
- Apply for external awards for Junior year (Udall, Goldwater).
- Apply for relevant study abroad awards.
- Start developing a major research project (like an Honors Thesis).
- Run for a leadership position within your extra-curricular organization.
- Join professional organizations related to you field.
- Study Abroad.
- Take upper-division classes.
- Talk to the NISF Advisor about external scholarships and awards available after your Senior year. (Fulbright, Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, Truman, Peace Corps, Huntington).
- Most major post-graduate scholarships and fellowships are due early in the fall semester.
Prestigious External Student Awards
AddressPrestigious External Student Awards, Box 41017, Lubbock, TX 79409-1017