Through a personal statement, you introduce yourself; it reflects your personality and intellect. It is important that you read each question carefully and make every effort to understand and respond to it with well-considered responses and in a persuasive manner.
Write a Personal Statement
- The most important part of your application
- Your only* chance to tell the scholarship committee why you deserve the award – what they know about you is what you tell them
- Highlight what makes you unique
- Be confident – own your identity
- Show how you represent the award's aims
- Answer all of the questions asked
- Respect the word limits!
Reflection Questions to Help Jump-Start your Personal Statement
- What is your story? Think about what makes you unique
- What part of my story do I want to tell? Think Strategically
- Would I like the person who wrote this essay? (This is usually the goal -- an interview!)
- Does the applicant offer a clear, detailed, and engaging narrative of his or her past experiences?
- Do these experiences relate to the applicant's goals and the interests of the fellowship?
Resources for Writing a Personal Statement
Prestigious External Student Awards
AddressPrestigious External Student Awards, Box 41017, Lubbock, TX 79409-1017