University Advising partners with students, parents, and the community to facilitate autonomy, foster independence, and develop opportunities to engage in and refine the academic advising experience.
Engage. Refine. Advise. The three key ways we will partner with you for success at Texas Tech.
University Advising (TTUA) engages students on multiple levels with multiple programs:
- Discovery! guiding the academic exploration of undecided, uncertain, and exploratory students
- TTU Prelaw Program for undergraduates planning a future education in a school of law
- Visiting Student Advising for those students who intend to transfer credit to a home institution or those just looking to advance their own knowledge.
In summary, TTUA facilitates growth, development, and persistence for all students at Texas Tech.
TTUD and PREN
Students who enter the University uncertain about the perfect major or needing to build the foundation to declare a competitive major find their advising home in University Advising as PREN or TTUD students. Undeclared students, whether with an intent to declare a particular major or exploring every possibility we have, participate in our Discovery! process to explore majors and confirm what makes the most sense.
TTU DISCOVERY! Program
Discovery! is your guide for investigating and confirming your major. Through a deliberate study of yourself and one-to-one meetings with an academic advisor, you will narrow the range of academic alternatives and be well-equipped to confidently pursue your educational and career goals.
Contact Information: 79 Holden Hall, 806.742.2189, firstname.lastname@example.org
TTU Prelaw Program
Students who are interested in attending law school should begin preparing long before graduation. The discipline of law is for students who are interested in combining precision in thinking, researching, and writing with a desire to work with people. The TTU Prelaw Program works with your major to strengthen and streamline your candidacy as a law school applicant. There are two sound routes to consider:
- Undeclared/Exploratory Students: Initially, you can be designated as a PLAW student in the College of Arts & Sciences. Using University Advising's DISCOVERY! tools, you will be ready to declare a major, having determined what major best fits your goals, values, and personal objectives. This plan allows you the freedom to explore academic majors while staying on track in your preparation for law school. PLAW is a great way to explore and still graduate on schedule with a degree that you find fulfilling and exciting.
- Declared Majors: The program will partner with you and the academic advisor who specializes in your declared major. Their combined guidance will support your pursuit of undergraduate success and prepare you for the transition to law school. Just let us know you are interested, and we will begin guiding you through the process, and will even help track your progress.