Texas Tech University

Frequently Asked Questions

What does it mean to be TTUD?

As a TTUD student, you may:

  1. Be completely undecided about what you want to major in
  2. Have a couple of majors in mind and you just need some more time to decide
  3. Know what you want to major in, you just don't yet meet the requirements to officially declare in.

Either way, we're here to help! We'll work with you throughout your time as TTUD to help you explore, research, and investigate major options as well as picking courses that make the most sense for your plans.

What does it mean to be Pre-Engineering?

As a pre-engineering student, you will work with us (your awesome TTUA advisors) to help you prepare to transfer into the College of Engineering. Once you meet the requirements to transfer into the WCOE, you'll be good to go!

What do I need to be able to transfer into the College of Engineering?

If you started at TTU in January 2013 or later, you need:

  • A 3.0 TTU GPA
  • Completion of at least 12 of the 25 hours of Foundational Engineering Curriculum:
    • ENGL 1301 & 1302
    • MATH 1451 & 1452
    • 8 hours of Natural Science (CHEM 1307/1107, CHEM 1308/1108, PHYS 1408, etc.)
    • Intro to Engineering course (ENGR 1315, CS 1411, PETR 1305, etc.)

What are the different GPA requirements to declare into the different colleges? While it can vary depending on major program, the general admission requirements from TTUD or PREN are:

  • College of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources = 2.0
  • College of Architecture = 2.0
  • College of Arts and Sciences = 2.0
  • Jerry S. Rawls College of Business Administration = 3.0
  • College of Education = 2.0
  • Edward E. Whitacre Jr College of Engineering = 3.0
  • Honors College = 3.25
  • College of Human Sciences = 2.0
  • College of Media and Communication = 2.5
  • College of Visual and Performing Arts = 2.0
  • University Studies = 2.0
  • Wind Energy = 2.25

What classes are required for my degree plan?

Ultimately, that depends on which catalog year you fall under. You can always see the degree requirements in the TTU Course Catalog or via DegreeWorks and Degree Audit on Raiderlink.

Can I declare a minor as TTUD or PREN?

Unfortunately, no. You can't declare a minor before you officially declare a major. However, you can take as many classes as possible towards that minor while you're TTUD or PREN.

How does grade replacement work?

TTU allows students to retake any courses they previously made a 'D' or an 'F' in here at TTU for potential grade replacement. If you retake the course and make a 'C' or better, the old grade is no longer calculated toward your GPA. Note: the previous grade will always show on your transcript, it will just have "Grade Replaced" under it. This means that if you make all 'Fs' your first semester, retake them all again the next semester and make 'As', you'll have a 4.0 GPA instead of a 0.0 GPA. However, if you retake the course and fail it again, both failing grades will be calculated towards your GPA.

How do I schedule an appointment with a TTUA advisor?

To schedule an appointment with a TTUA advisor, you have three options:

  1. Simply go to appointments.ttu.edu and follow the prompts. It really is just that easy.
  2. Call our front desk at 806-742-2189
  3. Stop by 079 Holden Hall

Where can I get help with my classes?

Texas Tech offers a variety of tutoring options to help you in almost any subject. The Learning Center, TECHniques Center, and your residence halls are great places to start. Certain departments, like Chemistry and Math, even offer their own tutoring options. Need help finding one? Contact your advisor!

Where can I get help with study tips, time management, etc.?

The Learning Center in 080 Holden Hall has a learning specialist on-site who specializes in providing individual academic counseling. Call them at 806-742-3664 to set up an appointment!

My transcript shows three different GPAs, which one do I need to worry about?

If you look at your TTU transcript, you'll see:

  • Total Institution GPA: this is your GPA for only the classes that you've taken here at TTU. For the purposes of academic standing, declaring a major, etc., this is the only one you need to worry about!
  • Total Transfer GPA: this is your GPA for the classes that you've taken at other institutions and transferred back to TTU.
  • Overall GPA: this is an average of your Total Institution and Total Transfer GPAs.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Fortunately, Texas Tech is awesome and offers a GPA calculator online via Raiderlink!

Raiderlink - TTU MyTech - Grades - GPA Calculator.

How do I calculate a grade replacement GPA?

Where can I see a list of what classes are being offered next semester?

Raiderlink - TTU MyTech - Registration - Look Up Classes.

You can also use DegreeWorks. Every class in your degree plan is hyperlinked. Click the link, and you can see which classes are being offered in the following term.

How can I tell if a course is being offered online?

Take a look at the section number next to the course title. If the section starts with a 'D' (Ex. D01) it is online. 'D' stands for Distance Electronic. The course time should also say TBA.

Can I take courses online?

Typically, TTU doesn't allow on-campus (Lubbock) students to take online courses. However, courses such as POLS 1301 and 2302 are offered primarily online.

Most online require special permission for on-campus students to enroll in them. Contact the individual departments about enrollment in these sections.(Ex. MATH 1451 online? Contact the Math department. COMS 2300 online? Contact the COMS department.)

How can I verify that a course I take at another institution will transfer back to TTU?

Fortunately, TTU has this great Transfer Equivalency Tool: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/registrar/private/transfer/ online that can help you verify how your courses will transfer back to TTU. Don't see your institution or course? Contact the Transfer Evaluation Office. Their contact information is on the bottom of the page.

I lost the email my advisor sent me, is there a way I can get a copy of it?

Absolutely! Just log on to appointments.ttu.edu and check your Conversations. This will give you a record of every interaction you've had with TTUA.

What does it mean to be on Academic Probation?

A student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on "academic probation." Such a student may not enroll for more than 16 hours without prior approval of the academic dean. In addition, the student must continue to seek regularly scheduled advice and counsel from an academic advisor or the dean. Students whose semester GPA is below 2.0 in their first semester at Texas Tech must complete in the next semester an Academic Recovery Plan, enroll in a Programs for Academic Development and Retention (PADR) course, and pay a nonrefundable course fee. Once required to enroll in a PADR course, students must repeat the course every term that they are enrolled at Texas Tech until the course is successfully completed. A student on academic probation remains eligible for all extracurricular activities as governed by the rules of the specific activity.

What is PADR?

Programs for Academic Development and Retention. Students who are placed on Academic Probation are required to take this course. It is a zero credit hour course that focuses on providing academic and personal management skills that will make students successful in their college careers. Want more information? http://www.depts.ttu.edu/passxl/

What does it mean to be placed on Academic Suspension?

A probationary student who has a current and a cumulative GPA below 2.0 at the end of a fall or spring semester will be on suspension unless grade replacements for courses completed at that time raise the cumulative GPA above 2.0. Texas Tech does not suspend students at the end of a summer term. However, summer grades can result in probation, and if the student does not achieve a 2.0 or better cumulative grade point average in the subsequent semester of enrollment, suspension can result. Students must initiate grade replacements in the Office of the Registrar. A suspended student who attains a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher as a result of grade replacement and after official grades have been submitted and academic status has been determined may be allowed to attend Texas Tech University upon appeal to the academic dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Any courses that are completed after probation or suspension status has been determined for a particular semester will not alter that probation or suspension. A student on academic suspension is not permitted to take classes and is ineligible to participate in any extracurricular activities once the suspension is posted. If the circumstances that resulted in the suspension are mitigating, an appeal may be directed to the appropriate academic dean or committee. The student is ineligible to participate in extracurricular activities during the appeal process. If the appeal results in granting the student permission to attend classes, then the student will be reactivated, and a transcript notation is made that allows the student to attend until the student meets the conditions established by the academic dean or committee granting the appeal and/or achieves a cumulative GPA at or above 2.0.

What do I do to return from Academic Suspension?

Return from first suspension requires students to:

  1. Sit out for one long semester (Summer I and II count)
  2. Reapply as a Former Tech Student
  3. Create an Academic Success Plan, beginning with a meeting with us. To schedule this Academic Recovery appointment, call our office at 806.742.2189. or email us.

What does it mean to be placed on Additional Academic Suspension?

Students on Additional Academic Suspension will be spending at least two long semesters away from Texas Tech (the entire summer counts as one "long semester" for these purposes). Readmission from Additional Suspension takes more work on your part than it did coming back from first suspension. This readmission is not automatic; it is rare. You need the permission of the Academic Dean of the College to return. Since University Advising reports to the Provost's Office, rather than an individual College, you'll need the Associate Vice Provost's permission to return. Keep in mind, this is not automatic. Here's what we typically need to see:

  • Proven academic success - It's pretty safe to say that a 3.0 GPA on at least 12 credit hours at a college or community college goes a long way in providing compelling evidence of a change in behavior, attitude, and circumstances that indicate a better academic career at TTU.
  • A dedication to academic success - That means making a commitment to meeting with an Advisor every week or two, working with The Learning Center for tutoring and building academic success strategies, holding yourself accountable.
  • A real, honest explanation of the previous situation and changes made to suggest a marked improvement. The Academic Success workbook walks you through identifying roadblocks and hindrances to your academic success and allows you to determine pathways around these to improve your chances of being successful at Texas Tech. The components of this Workbook will be the foundation for the conversation with your advisor.

For more information, call our office at class="baec5a81-e4d6-4674-97f3-e9220f0136c1" ">806.742.2189. or email us.

Where can I get a copy of the TTU Course Catalog?

You can always find a copy online here: http://catalog.ttu.edu/

Can't find your year? Check under the Electronic Archive file on the left hand side of the page.

How do I drop a class?

As long as you're within the drop period, don't have any active holds on your account, and aren't planning on dropping all of your classes at once, you can drop a course via Raiderlink.

Raiderlink - TTU MyTech - Registration - Add or Drop Classes. Under the Action tab, select Drop – Delete on Web, and hit Submit.

How do I withdraw from all of my classes?

Withdrawing requires you to submit a Withdrawal Form to the Office of the Registrar's Office. You can find the form here: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/registrar/private/privatedocs/Withdrawal_Form.pdf

When is the last day to drop/add/withdraw, etc.?

That answer varies from semester to semester. You can always check the TTU Calendar for that information. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/calendar/

I'm having trouble registering for a class, what do I do?

Ultimately, that depends on what kind of problem you're having. Here are some of the most common errors and solutions:

  • Pre-requisite and Test Score Error – this error means that somehow, you don't yet meet the requirements to take the course you're trying to register for. Check the TTU Course Catalog (or you can look on Visual Schedule Builder) to see what (if any) prerequisites are required to enroll in that course. Some courses have course pre-requisites (ENGL 1302 required completion of ENGL 1301 before you're able to enroll) and some courses require specific test scores (math placement, chemistry placement, etc.) Think you meet the requirements? Email your advisor with your name, R#, and the CRN you're trying to register for. They can look into it and let you know what the problem is.
  • Time Conflict – Two or more of the CRNs you're trying to register for are occurring at the same time. Check your schedule on Visual Schedule Builder to make sure all of the CRNs are compatible.
  • Linked Course Required – This section requires concurrent enrollment in another related section of the same course. Lecture sections typically required concurrent enrollment in related discussions, no credit labs, etc. (Ex. PHYS 1408 Lecture (section number 001) must be taken with one of the linked 'No Credit Lab' (section number 526) and one 'Discussion' (section number 710). You can see the linked courses via Visual Schedule Builder.
  • Permission from Department – registration is restricted until you contact the department that the course is taught under. (ENGL, MATH, etc.)
  • Campus Restriction – Registration is limited to students located on the specific campus. Make sure you're trying to register for Lubbock TTU courses, not another location.
  • Closed Section – this section is full. You'll have to find another available section to register for.
  • Field of Study Restriction – registration is limited to students within a specific major, minor, and/or concentration. As TTUD or PREN, you are not in a designated major/minor/concentration so you typically can't register for these courses.
  • Maximum Hours Exceeded – you're only allowed to take a certain number of courses per semester at TTU. When on the Add or Drop Classes screen, it will show you the Maximum Number of Hours you're allowed to take. This can only be overridden by Academic Dean's approval.
  • Class Restriction – Registration for this section is limited to students in a specific classification. (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, etc.)
  • College Restriction – Registration for this section is limited to students within a specific college. As a TTUD or PREN student, you are not in a specific college so you typically can't register for these courses.

What majors does TTU offer?

TTU offers over 150 different major options. See the complete list at: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications/catalog/_AcademicsFieldsofStudy.php

A class I took at another institution isn't transferring over correctly. Who do I talk to?

That would be the Transfer Evaluation Office over in 121 West Hall. 806-742-3661. TTUTransfer@ttu.edu.

How do I calculate my grade in a class?

Since every class is different, there really isn't just one way to calculate your grade. Some class grades are based solely on exam scores while others factor in attendance, homework, participation, etc. However, there are some really great apps that you can get for your smartphone that will help you keep track! You can also visit with your professor to get help figuring your overall score. Either way, start by looking at your course syllabus to see how your final grade will be calculated!

Who is my advisor?

Well, that depends on your major. If you're TTUD or PREN, you can find out who your academic advisor is by logging into my.advising.ttu.edu or by calling 806-742-2189. Typically, they're the one who has been emailing you every week. If you're not TTUD or PREN, your advisor is in a different department. Most departmental websites have links to their advising offices and/or advisor contact information. A quick search can typically help you find out how to contact your academic advisor. Still need help? Call the front desk at 806-742-2189 and we'd be happy to help you get in touch with them.

I emailed my advisor a few days ago and I still haven't heard back, what do I do?

Before you get upset, check a few things:

  • Did you send the email from your TTU email account? If not, chances are it went to our Junk folder. TTU IT has it set up where all emails sent from a non-TTUD email account are sent directly to Junk folders. This is a security issue that keeps users from accidentally opening emails/viruses that hurt our system. As a rule, most TTU officials don't check their Junk mail.
  • When did you send the email? If you sent the email Friday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. and it's 8:30 a.m. on Monday, chances are we haven't had a chance to read it yet. We typically don't work nights and weekends, so just be patient. We'll get to it as soon as possible.
  • Did you get an automatic response when you sent the email? If an advisor is going to be out of the office for a period of time, typically they will have their automatic response turned on explaining the situation. Be sure to check and see if they left a forwarding email address or alternative contact.
  • Everything okay and you still haven't gotten a response? Call our front desk at 806-742-2189. We have an advisor on hand who will be happy to assist you!

How do I change my major?

As long as you're within the deadline to do so and you meet the GPA requirement, you can change your major by completing an Academic Transfer Request Form. Typically, you'll need to get an appointment with your new major advisor to get officially declared in.

How can I get my transcript sent to another institution?

You can request a copy be sent via Raiderlink. Raiderlink - TTU MyTech - Transcript - TTU Transcript Request.

What is the Math Placement Exam?

What is the Chemistry Placement Exam?

How do I find my R#?

You can always see your R# in the top right corner of your Raiderlink screen. Just log on to raiderlink.ttu.edu and make sure you're on the Home or My Tech tabs.

How do I check my holds?

Raiderlink - TTU MyTech - Registration - Registration Status (Dates & Holds) - View Holds.

If I add a minor, will it be extra hours on my degree plan?

That depends on what your major is. All majors in the College of Arts & Sciences require a minor and have those hours already built in. Most other colleges don't have this requirement so adding a minor will be extra hours on your degree.

Can I just take classes to boost my GPA?

Ultimately, that decision is up to you. We at TTUA strongly advise against it. Why waste your time and money taking courses that you don't need? Instead try looking at an alternative minor or major that you could use to further distinguish yourself in the career search. Taking courses towards a back-up major is better than taking classes you're guaranteed not to need later on.

What are some 'easy' classes I can take?

Short answer: there aren't any. Long answer: Every single class at TTU is taught for a reason, and every class has value and academic integrity. "Easy" usually means you find it interesting and are willing to do the work required. Just because you think a class is 'easy', doesn't mean every other student does. For example, many TTUA advisors love English classes and think they're super easy! In our experience, students tend to disagree. Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. The same applies to college courses.

What are some majors that can guarantee me a job after I graduate?

Short answer: there aren't any. Long answer: getting a degree is just part of what potential employers are looking for. Being able to effectively communicate what you learned as an undergraduate and having the ability to market your strengths and weaknesses can go a long way in helping you land the job. Strong resumes, internships, hands-on experience, GPA, critical thinking skills, communication skills, and the ability to express your passion for a certain career and/or field is a must. In this job market, having a degree isn't enough anymore.

Since I'm in college, I don't have to go to class if I don't want to, right?

Absolutely! You're an adult, you have the right to choose how you spend your time. However, why would you pay for a class you don't plan to attend? Financially and academically, that makes no sense. If you break down the cost of a 3- hour course, you pay approximately $32 every class period. Why would you waste that money? Also, most professors calculate attendance and participation into your overall grade. You could make all C's on your exams and end up with a D in the courses because of attendance.

How do I know if this professor is good or not?

There really isn't any definite way to define this. However, the TTU Evaluations are always a great way to check out what other students have said regarding certain classes and professors. You can access these at: http://www.ttu.edu/courseinfo/evals/. Sites like ratemyprofessor.com are unreliable because they typically tend to be reports of extremely good or extremely bad experiences. TTU evaluations are a much more reliable source.

My professor has an accent that is difficult for me to understand. What can I do?

While we understand how this can be frustrating, bridging communication barriers is a two-way street. If you're having trouble understanding your professor, go talk with them! Spend some time one-on-one talking about something other than class. Basic dialogue and getting used to hearing key words can go a long way in helping you bridge the gap. Once you're more familiar with how they speak, it will make lectures a lot easier.

How do I find my TA or professor's office?

Most of the time, you can check on your course syllabus for their office and/or contact information. Still can't find it? You can always contact the department for more information.

Who can I talk to about changing my final exam time?

This is up to your instructor of the course. You should know your final exam time early in the semester so be in contact with them about this ASAP.

Questions about the Military Veterans Program?

Questions about Financial Aid?

Questions about Student Business Services?

Questions about Student Disability Services?

Questions about TTU housing policies?