Alta Luna Ranch
Alta Luna Ranch in Chacon, NM, 87713; Responsibilities would include:
- Wildlife Control "" the ranch has experienced an outbreak of Prairie Dogs that have taken over a large portion of the open area. A number of means are employed to exterminate them. These include the use of a Propane Gun (Rotenator), burrow entrance blocking, and rifle.
- Selective Agricultural Conservation "" elimination of certain weed species via mechanical and chemical means. We are seven years into an aggressive program to eliminate as many of the noxious weeds on the ranch as possible.
- Ranch Maintenance "" to be called upon from time to time to help out with other ranch issues such as fire wood retrieval, fence repair, hay hauling, water proofing exposed wood, etc.
Schedule: Beginning end of May (if available), June, July and first 2-weeks in August.
Option to work three full weeks with one week off or five days a week with weekends off
Description of Internship: Available for only 2 persons of the same gender. Located in rural Northeastern New Mexico, Alta Luna consists of 6,500 acres of high alpine land next to the Kit Carson National Forest. Not especially physically demanding, but must be able to walk long distances on rugged terrain. Mornings are 50 degrees with highs in the 70's. Monsoon season starts at the first of July and brings light cooling showers 2-5 days per week in the afternoons. Each participant will be provided a mule to pack necessary tools and supplies. Presently we have George and Lucy (btw these are not Polaris or Yamaha's, but grain and hay eating mules). Lodging is provided and it includes a private room with in-house access to washer/dryer, full kitchen, utilities and dishwasher (board and long distance phone calls are responsibility of intern). The ranch is managed by a full-time ranch manager couple as supervisors who will be on hand to provide working supplies and support and be in constant radio contact throughout the property. There will be no operating of ranch owned motorized equipment by intern due to insurance restrictions. No illegal drugs on the premises will be tolerated, and must be willing to pass an initial drug test upon hire and any tests deemed necessary by owners at any time during the internship.
If interested please send letter with qualifications to: Robert Davis; P.O. Box 2955; Victoria, TX 77902
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It