Meat Judging Team grills competition at Southwestern Livestock Exposition
The Texas Tech University Meat Judging Team in the Department of Animal and Food Sciences had its second dominant performance of the season, taking top honors Monday at the Southwestern Livestock Exposition's Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest in Fort Worth.
Texas Tech blew away the competition, outdistancing second-place Colorado State by 81 points while dominating almost every division. Texas Tech won the reasons division with a record 893 points and also took first in placings, overall beef, beef judging and beef grading.
The team, from the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, opened the spring judging season by taking the title at the National Western Stock Show in Denver in January.
Clay Bendele, a sophomore from Hondo, earned his second first-place individual finish of the season. Erin Beyer, a sophomore from Brookshire, was third followed by Darby Gonzales, a sophomore from Hondo in seventh and Sean Morrow, a sophomore from Nolan, in 10th. Professor Mark Miller, the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Distinguished Chair in Meat Sciences, coaches the team. Graduate students Bo Hutto and Dan Crownover assist.
Other members of the meat judging team are:
- Morgan Boyer, a junior from Wallisville (sixth high individual, alternate division)
- Elizabeth Burges, a junior from Graham
- Annalisa Clark, a sophomore from Las Cruces, NM (fourth high individual, alternate division)
- Zena Doty, a junior from La Plata, NM (third high individual, alternate division)
- Scotta Faulkenberry, a junior from Stephenville (second high individual, alternate division)
- Landon French, a junior from Burleson
- Melani Howell, a sophomore from Seymour (high individual, alternate division)
- Hallie Hutto, a sophomore from Hondo (tenth high individual, alternate division)
- Erin Klein, a sophomore from Littlefield
- Kyle Lambert, a sophomore from Sweetwater
- Madison Langemeier, a sophomore from Marion
- Michaela Pinder, a sophomore from League City (fifth high individual, alternate division)
- Cody Shannon, a junior from Royse City (ninth high individual, alternate division)
Written by George Watson
CONTACT: Michael Orth, chairman, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 834-5653 or firstname.lastname@example.org
0204NM15 / Editor's Note: For a complete list of results, go to www.judgingcard.com
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It