GEAR - Get Excited About Robotics
Provide an exciting hands-on LEGO robotics challenge to elementary and middle school students at no participation fee with the goal of increasing interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) disciplines and improving retention of engineering undergraduate students at Texas Tech.
- GEAR tournaments are held across Texas. Rules and challenges are provided by GEARrobotics.
- More than 500 students from 50 elementary and middle schools from all over the South Plains participated in the GEAR 2013 challenge at Texas Tech University.
- School teams in Lubbock are mentored by engineering students.
- Of the 315 students who voluntarily participated in a survey in 2010, 40% reported their ethnicity as Hispanic, 45% qualified for free school lunch, and 42% were girls.
- Participation is open to all elementary and middle schools. There is no participation fee.
Event Information (2014)
- February 15 - Kickoff Event at Texas Tech
- March 29 - Trial Run
- April 12 - Game Day
For more information on registration, teams, workshops, and kits, visit the Information for Schools page.
Participating Schools (2013)
View GEAR 2013 Competition at Texas Tech University in a larger map