Kirsten A. Cook, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor with Tenure - Accounting
Education: Ph.D., Texas A&M University (2007)
Areas of Research Interest: Tax, Earnings Management, Corporate Social Responsibility/Diversity, Doctoral Education
Office Hours: Fall: Mondays, 8:30-11:30; Spring: Mondays and Wednesdays, 8:30-10:00; Summer: by appointment
Room Number: E356
Kirsten joined the School of Accounting faculty in June 2013 as an Assistant Professor
and was awarded tenure in February 2017. He teaches ACCT 5318 (Income Tax Research
and Planning) in the fall semester and ACCT 3307 (Income Tax Accounting) in the spring
semester. Kirsten holds an Associate in Arts degree from McLennan Community College,
Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Accountancy degrees from Baylor
University, and a Ph.D. in accounting from Texas A&M University. Before beginning
the doctoral program, Kirsten worked as a staff accountant at Jaynes, Reitmeier, Boyd
& Therrell in Waco. After completing the doctoral program, he taught income tax accounting
for five years in the Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona before
moving to Lubbock.
- When Should You Start Your Social Security Benefits? (with William Jennings and William Reichenstein), AAII (American Association of Individual Investors) Journal, Vol. 24, No. 10 (November 2002), pages 27-34
- Earnings Management through Effective Tax Rates: The Effects of Tax Planning Investment and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (with Ryan Huston and Tom Omer), Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 25, No. 2 (Summer 2008), pages 447-471
- Discussion of Do Auditor-Provided Tax Services Impair the Value Relevance of Earnings?, Journal of the American Taxation Association, Vol. 35, No. 1 (Spring 2013), pages 21-24.
- U.S. Corporate Tax Reform and Financial Reporting Incentives (with Roy Clemons and Mike Kinney), Tax Notes, Vol. 141, No. 1 (October 7, 2013), pages 92-99. Reprinted in Tax Notes International, Vol. 72, No. 5 (November 4, 2013), pages 427-434.
- Do Ethical Firms Bridge the Gender Gap in CEO Compensation? (with Janell Blazovich and Murphy Smith), Journal of Accounting, Ethics & Public Policy, Vol. 15, No. 2 (2014), pages 257-298.
- The Effectiveness of the R&D Tax Credit: Evidence from the Alternative Simplified
Credit (with Andrew Finley and Stephen Lusch), Journal of the American Taxation Association, Vol. 37, No. 1 (Spring 2015), pages 157-181.
- Tax-Efficient Withdrawal Strategies (with Bill Meyer and Bill Reichenstein), Financial Analysts Journal, Vol. 71, No. 2 (March/April 2015), pages 16-29.
- How to Discuss a Paper: Developing and Showcasing Your Scholarly Skills (with Matt Hart, Mike Kinney, and Derek Oler), Issues in Accounting Education, Vol. 31, No. 2 (May 2016), pages 211-218.
- The Tax Advantages of Qualified Charitable Distributions from IRAs (with Harry Harelik and Bill Reichenstein), AAII (American Association of Individual Investors) Journal, Vol. 38, No. 10 (October 2016), pages 25-28.
- Do LGBT-Supportive Corporate Policies Enhance Firm Performance? (with Shaun Pichler, Janell Blazovich, Janet Huston, and Billy Strawser), Human Resource Management, forthcoming.
- Factors that Influence Accounting Faculty Career Satisfaction: Comparisons by Program Prestige and Tenure Status (with Gary Fleischman, Teresa Stephenson, and Kenton Walker), Accounting Horizons, forthcoming.
- Tax Avoidance and Ex Ante Cost of Capital (with Bill Moser and Tom Omer), Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, forthcoming.
Awards and Honors
- Best Paper Award for the 2006 Journal of the American Taxation Association Conference
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research by a Doctoral Student for the 2005-2006 academic year
- Mays Post-Doctoral Fellowship for the 2007-2008 academic year
- 2010 Arizona Society of CPAs Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2012 Don Wells Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award
- 2013 Phillip A. Blanchard Award (University of Arizona Accounting Student Association annual award)
- 2015 Institute for Inclusive Excellence Fellow
- Best Paper Award for the 2015 American Accounting Association Diversity Section Meeting
- 2017 Rawls Excellence in Teaching Award