Jack Cooney, Ph.D.
Phone: Office Hours: By appointment
Room Number: W304
Education: Ph.D., J.D., MBA, University of Utah; B.S., University of Florida
Area of Expertise: IPOs, Investment Banking, Market Microstructure
CV: Curriculum Vitae
About Professor Cooney
Jack Cooney is an Associate Professor of Finance at Texas Tech University. He holds the Benninger Family Professorship of Finance and also the John Walker Professorship of Finance. He received his B.S. from the University of Florida and his MBA, J.D., and Ph.D. from the University of Utah. Dr. Cooney joined the Rawls College at Texas Tech University in 2002 and has previously been on the faculty at Washington State University, Kansas State University, and University of Kentucky. Dr. Cooney's research interests include IPOs, investment banking, and market microstructure. His publications have appeared in Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Financial Management, Journal of Corporate Finance, and Journal of Banking and Finance.
- Cooney, John W., Leonardo Madureira, Ajai K. Singh, and Ke Yang, 2015, “Social ties and IPO outcomes.” Journal of Corporate Finance, v33, 129-146.
- Bradley, Daniel J., Jonathan Clarke, and John W. Cooney, 2012, “The impact of reputation on analysts' conflicts of interest: Hot versus cold markets.” The Journal of Banking and Finance v36(8) 2190-2202.
- Cooney, John W., Thomas Moeller, and Mike Stegemoller, 2009, “The Underpricing of Private Targets.” The Journal of Financial Economics v93(1), 51-66.
- Konan Chan, John W. Cooney, Joonghyuk Kim, and Ajai K. Singh, 2008, “The IPO Derby: Are there Consistent Losers and Winners on this Track?” Financial Management v37(1), 45-79.
- Bradley, Daniel J., John W. Cooney, Steven D. Dolvin, and Bradford J. Jordan, 2006, “Penny Stock IPOs,” Financial Management 35(1), 5-29.
- Bradley, Daniel J., John W. Cooney, Bradford J. Jordan, and Ajai K. Singh, 2004, “Negotiation and the IPO Offer Price: A Comparison of Integer vs. Non-integer IPOs,” The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, v39(3), 517-540.
- Cooney, John W. and Richard W. Sias, 2004, “Informed Trading and Order Type,” The Journal of Banking and Finance, v28, 1711-1743.
- Cooney, John W., Hideaki K. Kato, and James S. Schallheim, 2003, “Underwriter Certification and Japanese Seasoned Equity Issues,” The Review of Financial Studies, v16(3), 949-982.
- Cooney, John W., Bonnie Van Ness, and Robert Van Ness, 2003, “Do Investors Prefer Even-Eighth Prices? Evidence from NYSE Limit Orders,” The Journal of Banking and Finance, v27, 719-748.
- Cooney, John W. and Avner Kalay, 1993, “Positive Information from Equity Issue Announcements,” The Journal of Financial Economics, v33(2), 149-172.
- Loderer, Claudio, John W. Cooney, and Leonard D. Van Drunen, 1991, “The Price Elasticity of Demand for Common Stock,” The Journal of Finance, v46(2), 621-651.
- Bauguess, Scott W., John W. Cooney, Kathleen W. Hanley, Investor Demand for Information in Newly Issued Securities, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2379056
Primary Administrative Assignments
- Ph.D. Advisor - Area of Finance (2004-current)