The FORWARD Loan Program is a low-interest loan designed for students enrolled in programs aligned with high-value credentials and high-demand occupations. The program provides alternative educational loans to Texas students who are unable to meet the cost of attendance. Students do not have to demonstrate financial need. However, the amount of federal aid for which you are eligible (regardless of whether actually accepted) must be deducted from the cost of attendance in determining the FORWARD loan amount.
- The FAFSA and all supporting documents are required for the FORWARD.
- The FORWARD is awarded based on the requirements set by The Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) (www.hhloans.com) and the availability of funds. The FORWARD is awarded only to Texas residents.
- The THECB will calculate the final loan amount based on a student's “manageable debt” for the borrower's program of study. Depending on the calculation, the loan could be reduced or canceled by the THECB after the loan has been certified by an institution
- The FORWARD is a student initiated process. The application process includes the application, credit check, and self certification. (www.hhloans.com) The credit decision is good for 90 days.
- Select the appropriate loan period dates from the chart below:
2023-2024 Undergraduate or Graduate/Professional Law Full Year 08/24/2023 - 05/07/2023 08/21/2023 - 5/10/2024 Fall 08/24/2023 - 12/12/2023 08/21/2023 - 12/15/2023 Spring 01/10/2024 - 05/07/2024 01/08/2024 - 05/10/2024 Summer 05/28/2024 - 08/02/2024 06/03/2024 - 07/12/2024
- Once the THECB has received and approved all application documents and credit is approved, TTU will be notified to certify loan eligibility. TTU will certify the loan up to the cost of education minus any other aid the student has been awarded, or for the approved loan amount.
- Once TTU certifies FORWARD eligibility, the THECB will calculate the student's manageable debt to determine the final loan amount.
- Then THECB will send the student a Loan Approval Disclosure by mail. The student may
electronically accept the terms of the disclosure.
- Loan funds will not be released to TTU by the THECB until the Loan Approval Disclosure has been accepted by the THECB. Loan funds are generally sent to TTU in 10-14 business days after the Loan Approval Disclosure has been accepted.
- To check the status of your FORWARD Loan go to www.hhloans.com click log in.
Loan money from the CAL, FORWARD, private, or BOT will be applied to the student's
billing account at TTU and any refund will be sent to the student via direct deposit
or paper check. The student can sign up for direct deposit via MyTech.
- Be a Texas resident
- Be registered with Selective Service; and
- Be enrolled in a high-demand credential program
- Meet one of the following enrollment requirements:
- Degree program: must be enrolled in a degree program having completed at least 50% of the required coursework before receiving a FORWARD loan.
- Non-degree program: Must be enrolled in a non-degree program with a duration less than two years.
- Baccalaureate-Master's degree program: Must be enrolled in master's degree coursework, with the master's degree as part of a combined baccalaureate-master's program approved by the institution.
- Meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements set by the institution.
- Receive a favorable credit evaluation or provide a cosigner who has good credit standing and meets other requirements.
Who can be used as a cosigner?
- Be at least 21 years of age,
- Have a regular source of income,
- Not be the borrower or the spouse of the borrower,
- Receive a favorable credit evaluation, and
- Be a permanent U.S. resident or a U.S. citizen and reside in the U.S. or in a U.S. territory
Students may borrow up to the amount of their full cost of attendance minus all other financial aid they are eligible for, including amounts not yet accepted.(No less than $100.00)
Is the FAFSA required?
Yes, the student must submit the FAFSA (or TASFA) in order to receive these loans.
Is a credit check required?
Yes, before the loan is approved, THECB checks the applicant and cosigner credit information. Applicants with adverse credit scores may not be approved. A cosigner is not required but is strongly encouraged.
Any FORWARD Loan application that is certified by a participating institution will carry a fixed interest rate of 3.85%.
Loans have a six-month grace period from the date a borrower ceases to be continuously enrolled as at least a half-time student at an eligible institution.
Postponements of loan repayment and income-sensitive or graduated repayment schedules are available.
How to Apply
Students may apply online. The application process includes:
- A Solicitation Disclosure (must be signed)
- Student's Self-Certification form (must be completed and signed electronically or mailed to HHLoans).
- Loan Approval Disclosure Statement to be signed and returned after loan is approved.
If the FORWARD Loan is declined based on the credit inquiry, the borrower may update their application to include a credit worthy cosigner, or change cosigners. The cosigner will need to provide information on the loan application to authorize the credit inquiry.
For more information on the FORWARD Loan, please visit HHloans.com, or contact them at 800-242-3062.