Vijay Hegde, Ph.D.
Phone: (806) 834-6695
Room: HS 401C
Department of Nutritional Sciences
Primary research interests are to discover effective strategies to prevent or treat obesity and its related comorbidities. The research is specifically focused on the E4orf1 protein of human adenovirus type 36 (Ad36). Additional research interests are to understand the higher risk associated with many forms of cancer among people with diabetes and/or obesity.
B.S. in Botany from University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India in 1990
M.S. in Plant Physiology from University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India in 1992
Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology from University of Sheffield, Sheffield, U.K. in 1997
NS4320 Nutritional Biochemistry
- Hegde V, Dhurandhar NV. Microbes and obesity-interrelationship between infection, adipose tissue and the immune system. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013 Apr;19(4):314-20. doi: 10.1111/1469-0691.12157.
- Dhurandhar EJ, Krishnapuram R, Hegde V, Dubuisson O, Tao R, Dong XC, Ye J, Dhurandhar NV. E4orf1 Improves Lipid and Glucose Metabolism in Hepatocytes: A Potential Agent to Improve Steatosis and Hepatic Insulin Resistance, PLOS One (2012); 7(10):e47813. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0047813.
- Dhurandhar EJ, Dubuisson O, Mashtalir N, Krishnapuram R, Hegde V, Dhurandhar NV. E4orf1: A Novel Ligand that Improves Glucose Disposal. PLOS One 6(8):e23394 (2011).
- Hegde V, Yadavilli S, McLaughlin LD, Deutsch WA. DNA Repair Efficiency in Transgenic Mice Over expressing Ribosomal Protein S3. Mutat Res. 666(1-2):16-22, (2009).
- Wan F, Anderson DE, Barnitz RA, Snow A, Bidere N, Zheng L, Hegde V, Lam LT, Staudt LM, Levens D, Deutsch WA, Lenardo MJ. Ribosomal protein S3: a KH Domain protein found in NF-κB complexes that mediates selective gene regulation. Cell 131(5): 927-939, (2007).