Master of Science in Nutritional Sciences
How to Apply
The Graduate School online application system is designed to help you easily navigate through the application process and ensure you complete your application in a timely manner.
ALL documents must be submitted through the online portal and directly to the department.
Requirements and Prerequisites
- Prerequisite Courses:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- GPA: minimum of 3.0
- TOEFL (international students only)
- Personal Statement of Professional Goals
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Prerequisite Courses:
NS Research and Research Labs
Master's Degree Student's Responsibilities (Thesis and Non-Thesis options)
For Required Steps and Forms in the Master's Program and deadlines, go to this TTU Graduate School website:
Additional Master's Degree Student's Responsibilities (Non-thesis option)
- Confer with the Nutritional Sciences Graduate Adviser regarding course selection and completion of "Program for the Master's Degree and Admission to Candidacy" form. This form should be completed by the start of the 2nd semester of study and requires the signature of the Nutritional Sciences Graduate Adviser.
- Confer with the Nutritional Sciences Graduate Adviser about any concerns regarding academic performance in courses.
- Contact the Nutritional Sciences Graduate Adviser to schedule the comprehensive final examination. The examination must be taken at Texas Tech University during the semester the student is a scheduled to receive the degree. Schedule the exam in advance of the Graduate School's deadline for reporting results of comprehensive exams.
Additional Master's Degree Student's Responsibilities (Thesis option)
- Select a Graduate Advisory Committee Chairperson by the end of the first semester of graduate study or as soon as possible thereafter.
- Confer with Graduate Advisory Committee Chairperson concerning:
- Plan of study, "Program for the Master's Degree and Admission to Candidacy" form(also confer with Graduate Advisory Committee)
- Course registration
- Research interests
- Thesis completion and defense
- Contact potential committee members requesting their membership on the Graduate Advisory Committee.
- Consult with Graduate Advisory Committee on a regular basis regarding:
- research proposal development (format in APA style unless otherwise directed by your Graduate Advisory Committee Chairperson)
- research proposal presentation
- research proposal approval
- guidance during research
- planning of all committee meetings
- planning for final oral examination (defense of thesis)
- Recheck plan of study when enrolling for the semester in which the degree is to be conferred. Plan of study and transcript must match.
- Observe and meet Graduate School deadlines regarding:
- Submission of plan of study (course plan "Program for the Master's Degree and Admission to Candidacy" form )
- Submission of draft copy of thesis (after Graduate Advisory Committee approval)
- Payment of Thesis fee
- Final oral examination (defense of thesis)
- Final copy of thesis
- Follow the Graduate School's requirements for thesis development and submission: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/gradschool/academic/ThesesDissertation.php.
- Thesis students are required to provide the chairperson of their Graduate Advisory Committee with a bound copy of the thesis unless the chairperson signs the waiver form indicating that he/she does not want a copy.
- Prepare a manuscript for publication (as first author) of thesis research and findings. If work is not submitted for publication within one year after thesis completion, Advisory Committee Chairperson and committee members will have the right to publish research findings. Authorship will include the student's name.
- Graduate Degree in Nutritional Sciences and Dietetic Internship option
- Graduate Scholarship Information
- Thesis Requirements
- Non-Thesis Requirements
Other Helpful Links
TTU Related Links
- TTU Graduate School
- Graduate Studies Responsibilities
- International Teaching Assistant Training Program
- TTU Office of International Affairs
- TTU Office of Publications - Catalog of Courses
- TTU Office of Research Services - Human Subjects Forms
- Teaching, Learning and Professional Development Center (TLPDC)
- TEACH Program
Contact the Graduate Advisor
Dr. Wilna Oldewage-Theron