On The Floor: CASNR Congressional Spring Interns Bound for Capitals
Five students from Texas Tech’s College of Agriculture and Natural Resources will be spending their spring semester working as interns in either the state or national capital. Running from January through May, the college’s congressional spring intern program affords selected students an opportunity to experience first-hand the government’s day-to-day operations.
“Intern selections are always an exciting and difficult process,” said Lori Dudley, the coordinator of student development in the college’s Dr. Bill Bennett Student Success Center. “The program is one of the most unique student programs that the college has for CASNR students.”
This year’s CASNR spring interns include:
- Lauren Hamilton, a junior agricultural and applied economics major from Shepherd; State Representative John Frullo, District 84
- Faith Jurek, a graduate agricultural communications major from Goldthwaite; Congressman Randy Neugebauer (R-TX 19th District)
- Skylar Sowder, a senior agricultural and applied economics major from Sudan; House Committee on Agriculture, majority office
- Allen Thompson, a senior agricultural communications major from Rising Star; State Representative Tracy King, District 80
- Lindsey York, a sophomore animal science – business major from Fort Worth; Congressman Mike Conaway (R-TX 11th District)
CASNR interns live in the “Tech House” during their stay in Washington D.C., which is located just over a block from the Capitol Building. Their living expenses are offset through scholarships from generous donors, including the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Texas Corn Producers Board, Plains Cotton Growers, Texas Corn Growers, Texas Peanut Producers, Dan Taylor, Texas Farm Bureau, and South Texas Cotton and Grain, as well as others.
Written by Norman Martin
CONTACT: Lori Dudley, Coordinator of Student Development, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742.2808 ext. 283 or email@example.com
0115NM13 / PHOTO: (clockwise, from top left) Lauren Hamilton; Faith Jurek; Allen Thompson; Lindsey York and Skylar Sowder
Editor’s Note: For additional information about the CASNR Government Intern Program, click http://www.depts.ttu.edu/agriculturalsciences/gov_interns/page1.php