International Prospective Students
For students who are not citizens/permanent residents of the U.S.
Texas Tech fosters an environment of inclusion and engagement and encourages original critical and creative thinking in a personalized setting. Along the way, you'll have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, an internationally renowned faculty, comprehensive professional and career development activities, and numerous internship and other opportunities to enhance your experience as a graduate student at Texas Tech University.
Important Information for International Students
Please go through all the information below in detail before proceeding with your
Transcripts & Required Documents
- International applicants must provide original language documents and English translations. If the documents are not provided in English, an official English translation of all transcripts/ individual semester mark sheets is required. The Office of Graduate Admissions will not accept a public notary certification. If official English translations are not supplied by the applicant's institution(s), the applicant must provide a translation done by an American Translators Association-certified translator. A list of ATA-certified translators is available online at www.atanet.org/onlinedirectories.
- If admitted, the applicant will be required to submit official transcripts, diplomas/degree certificates, and test scores by the twelfth class day of the term to which the applicant is admitted.
- Original or Certified Copies of All College and University Transcripts - Include mark sheets, examination results, etc. An official English translation is required. If the degree is not complete when the application is made, six semesters or three years of course work are required.
Official Proof of English Proficiency
- All international applicants must provide proof of English proficiency before their applications can be considered for admission. Only your most recent measure of English proficiency is considered for admission purposes. This test is waived only for graduates of U.S. universities or universities in English proficiency-exempt countries. Applicants who have completed at least two consecutive years at a college or university in the U.S. or in an English proficiency-exempt country, are also exempt from the English proficiency requirement. If you believe you may be exempt, please download and complete this formand email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants may submit one of the following English proficiency measures:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – The minimum TOEFL score required is 550 (paper-based version) or 79 (internet-based version). The TOEFL score must be received directly from the Educational Testing Service. Texas Tech University's institutional code is 6827. TOEFL scores are valid for only two years.
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) – The minimum IELTS required score is an overall band score of 6.5 on the Academic version. IELTS General Training results are not acceptable. There is no IELTS institution code for Texas Tech University. IELTS scores are valid for only two years.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) – The minimum required PTE Academic score is 60. PTE General and PTE Young Learners results are not acceptable. There is no PTE Academic institution code for Texas Tech University. PTE Academic scores are valid for only two years.
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency Test (Cambridge CPE) – The minimum required Cambridge CPE grade is a score of 180 or above There is no institutional code for the Cambridge CPE. The Cambridge CPE is valid for life.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced Proficiency Test (Cambridge CAE) – The minimum required Cambridge CAE grade is a score of 175 or above. There is no institutional code for the Cambridge CAE. The Cambridge CAE is valid for life.
- Completion of ELS Level 112 – transcript and certificate required. Conditional admission for English proficiency may be available for prospective students who do not meet the minimum required English proficiency standard. More information.
Proof of Financial Support (Optional)
Applicants may provide proof of financial support as part of their application materials, or they may provide proof upon learning of their admission decision. This document is not necessary for application evaluation purposes. The Graduate School offers a limited number of fellowships. However, most financial assistance for new students is awarded by departments and not by the Graduate School. All correspondence regarding financial assistance should be conducted with the department to which the applicant is applying.
Residency Questionnaire Information for Tuition
International applicants do not complete the core residency questions as part of the ApplyTexas application because there are few visa categories eligible to establish a domicile for residency for tuition purposes. You may view a list of visas eligible to establish a domicile for residency for tuition purposes here. If your visa category allows you to establish a domicile for residency for tuition purposes, please submit the Residency Questionnaire to email@example.com, in person in Administration Building Room 328, or by mail.
Requests for reclassification must be submitted by the tenth class day (the second class day for summer terms) of the semester for the term for which you are trying to establish residency. This is because your residency status must be updated by the twelfth class day (the fourth class day for summer terms) in order for the change to take effect for that term, and we must have time to review each set of questions. Questionnaires received after that date will still be reviewed, but any updates to your residency status will not take effect until the following term.
Return of Documents
All submitted documents become the property of Texas Tech University and will not be returned. Questions? Comments? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See a list of Required Bachelor Degree Equivalents
See a list of English proficiency-exempt countries.
Conditional admission for English proficiency may be available for prospective students who do not meet the minimum required English proficiency standard through ELS Educational Services.
If you have any other questions, please email us at email@example.com.
From Here, It's Possible
Texas Tech has a place ready for you.
AddressAdministration Building 328, Texas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409