Test Optional Information
Effective through 2025 entry terms
Some applicants may feel that an SAT or ACT score does not fully reflect their academic
preparedness or potential. If this is the case for you, Texas Tech University has
enacted a test optional admission policy for students applying for admission effective
through 2025 entry terms. This policy allows students the option to apply without
consideration of SAT or ACT scores. At the time of application, students will share
their plans regarding the submission or consideration of SAT or ACT as part of their
application. Students selecting this option will have their application and supplemental
information evaluated in a holistic manner. We welcome any student, regardless of
testing plan, to submit additional material (detailed in the Supplemental Application
Items) that they feel best highlights their skills, talents, and potential contributions
to Texas Tech. This policy has been approved by the Texas Tech University System Chancellor
Students who choose to have their application evaluated without an exam should follow the steps outlined below.
Students who did not originally apply as test-optional, but would like to have their file reviewed without a test score should complete the request on the Resources and Forms tab of their RaiderConnect account. Note that this option is only available when no admission decision has been determined for the application. If the file has already been reviewed and a decision made by the admissions committee, this request will not be processed.
Required Application Items
- Application for Admission: ApplyTexas or Common App
- On the application, students will be required to share their plan to be considered test optional for both admission and scholarship consideration.
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- Self-Reported Academic Record
- The Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) is a required item for first-time in college students. The SRAR can be accessed through your RaiderConnect Portal. Official transcripts are required upon high school graduation and should be submitted by a high school official with date of graduation noted.
Supplemental Application Items
- Essays using prompts from ApplyTexas or Common App
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
- College Transcripts for Dual Credit
- IB, AP or any other test scores
Evaluation for Admission
If a student wishes to be evaluated under the test optional policy, their application and supplemental information will be evaluated holistically in the following manner:
- Some applicants may feel the SAT or ACT does not fully reflect their academic performance. These students are strongly encouraged to submit additional documentation that would reflect the items listed above.
- If a student previously supplied a test score prior to submitting the application and chooses on the application to be reviewed test optional, the test score will not be visible to those reviewing the file for admission.
- A review committee will examine each applicant's file to identify their achievements and the challenges they faced, hoping to identify the way they took advantage of the opportunities presented to them.
- The file will be evaluated for intellectual curiosity and academic rigor, demonstrated leadership and problem-solving ability, contributions to community, socioeconomic background and family responsibilities, special talents and awards, and diversity of experience and background.
- After the holistic review, a decision will be rendered by the review committee for test optional students.
- If a student was evaluated test optional and denied, the student may choose to submit a test score and request a re-evaluation with the score being considered. Students may review additional admission alternatives here.
Texas Tech University is proud to offer a high quality education at an affordable
cost. We continue to be recognized as a best value university for your return on investment.
Students will designate if they would like to be test optional for both admission
and scholarships on the application. Students who apply test-optional will be evaluated
holistically for merit scholarships. Once an admission decision has been made, the test-optional designation cannot be
Have questions? Our staff is here to help.
2500 Broadway, West Hall Room 100
Lubbock, TX 79409-5005
AddressTexas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409