Test Optional Information 2021
Some applicants may feel that an SAT or ACT score does not fully reflect their academic
preparedness or potential. If this is the case for you, Texas Tech University has
enacted a test optional admission policy for students applying for the Fall 2021 term.
This policy allows students the option to apply without consideration of SAT or ACT
scores. At the time of application, students will share their plans regarding the
submission or consideration of SAT or ACT as part of their application. Students selecting
this option will have their application and supplemental information evaluated in
a holistic manner. We welcome any student, regardless of testing plan, to submit additional
material (detailed in the Supplemental Application Items) that they feel best highlights
their skills, talents, and potential contributions to Texas Tech. This policy has
been approved by the Texas Tech University System Board of Regents (May 2020).
Students who choose to have their application evaluated without an exam should follow
the steps outlined below.
Required Application Items
- Application for Admission: ApplyTexas (July 1) or Common App (Aug. 3)
- On the application, students will be required to share their plan to be considered test optional.
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- Most recent High School Transcript
- Student may upload a PDF of their high school transcript on their RaiderConnect Portal. Official transcripts are required upon high school graduation and should be submitted by a high school official with date of graduation noted.
Supplemental Application Items
- Essays using prompts from ApplyTexas or Common App
- Letter(s) of Recommendation
- College Transcripts for Dual Credit
- IB, AP or any other test scores
Evaluation for Admission
If a student wishes to be evaluated under the test optional policy, their application and supplemental information will be evaluated holistically in the following manner:
- Some applicants may feel the SAT or ACT does not fully reflect their academic performance. These students are strongly encouraged to submit additional documentation that would reflect the items listed above.
- If a student previously supplied a test score prior to submitting the application and chooses on the application to be reviewed test optional, the test score will not be visible to those reviewing the file for admission.
- A review committee will examine each applicant's file to identify their achievements and the challenges they faced, hoping to identify the way they took advantage of the opportunities presented to them.
- The file will be evaluated for intellectual curiosity and academic rigor, demonstrated leadership and problem-solving ability, contributions to community, socioeconomic background and family responsibilities, special talents and awards, and diversity of experience and background.
- After the holistic review, a decision will be rendered by the review committee for test optional students.
- If a student was evaluated test optional and denied, the student may choose to submit a test score and request a re-evaluation with the score being considered. Students may review additional admission alternatives here.
Texas Tech University is proud to offer a high quality education at an affordable cost. We continue to be recognized as a best value university for your return on investment. Students who apply test-optional will be evaluated holistically for merit scholarships.
While students may be test optional for admissions, students still have the opportunity to submit test scores for scholarship consideration. We will continue to monitor the ability of SAT and ACT to administer their exams which can be used for merit scholarship consideration but not always required for competitive-based scholarships. Students are able to submit scores until June 1 of their senior year to qualify for merit scholarships. After that, merit scholarships are available based on availability of funding. Students are considered for competitive-based scholarships with their application for admission.
Have questions? Our staff is here to help.
2500 Broadway, West Hall Room 100
Lubbock, TX 79409-5005