Texas Tech Equestrian Center
The Texas Tech Equestrian Center was donated to Texas Tech University in 2004, and is a premier equine event facility. The center consists of three indoor arenas, a 180-stall barn, and five outdoor arenas. It houses several programs including the Texas Tech Rodeo Team, Texas Tech Ranch Horse Team, Texas Tech Equestrian Team, and the Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International premier accredited therapeutic riding program. Several horsemanship classes and clinics are offered here as well. The equestrian center also hosts horse shows, and leases the arena to outside productions for a variety of events.
- Indoor Arenas: The equestrian center's main indoor arena is entirely enclosed. The arena is 119 feet by 255 feet, and includes lights, heat, a public address system and is equipped with ceiling-fans. The arena can seat approximately 700 people and also includes concession, rest rooms, a meeting room and a spacious upstairs patio. The VIP meeting room with patio is available for rent. The room seats approximately 75 people and has two restrooms. The therapeutic riding program's indoor arena is 100 feet by x 200 feet and has lights and fans. The Peanut Arena is 90 feet by 150 feet and is leased for the equestrian team. Amenities include lights and mirrors.
- Outdoor Arenas: There have been several generous donations given in order to renovate the outdoor arenas. The Crofoot Arena is 150 feet by 300 feet. The Spur HDQ's Ranch Arena and Happy State Bank Arena are each 120 feet by 200 feet. Adjoining the main indoor arena is the covered and lighted 90 feet by 125 feet Cogdell Pen. The rodeo arena is 150 feet by 300 feet and next to it is the 40 feet by 300 feet calf-roping lane.
- Boarding: A 180-stall barn serves as overnight stalling for events and permanent boarding for both students and non-students. In addition, the facility has tum-out pens for the horses to use during the day at the boarder's discretion. It also provides tack rooms, feed rooms, wash racks, tie rails and trailer parking for boarder's use.
- Classes: The equestrian center hosts many classes available through Texas Tech to students, including selection and evaluation; horse nutrition; management and training; sales prep and marketing; horsemanship l and 2; ranch horse techniques; therapeutic riding; and horse production
Texas Tech Teams & Programs
There are several equine-based programs at Texas Tech, all of which meet and practice at the equestrian center.
- Equestrian Team: The team is open to any undergraduate student, regardless of their major or skill level. Students do not have to own their own horse. The team shows both fall and spring semesters, and travel to host schools to catch ride horses. The team competes in English and Western divisions with the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association.
- Horse Judging Team: The team competes at several major horse judging contests annually, including the American Quarter Horse Association World Show, the Congress and the National Reining Horse Association Futurity. The team also hosts regional and state FFA contests, as well as judging workshops. No prior experience is necessary to join.
- Ranch Horse Team: The team participates in events involving ranch riding and trail, reining, cow work and roping. The team competes in several associations including Stock Horse of Texas, Ranch Horse Association of America, National Reined Cowhorse Association, and the American Quarter Horse Association. They hold six national championship titles, as well as numerous world championships. For more information, click here.
- Rodeo Team: The team is made up of students who compete in National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association events across the country. Most recently, the Women's Rodeo team won the national championship in 2012. There is an annual rodeo hosted at the Texas Tech Equestrian Center every October. The rodeo team just won the men's and women's all-around titles at the San Antonio Stock Show College Rodeo Showdown, had numerous 2016 College National Finals qualifiers and top 10 finishers, as well as a current member made his first National Finals Rodeo qualification in Vegas this year.
- Therapeutic Riding Program: This program offers horseback riding sessions for children and adults with disabilities and special needs. There are also multiple volunteer opportunities associated with this program. For more information on the program, click here.
Equestrian Center Director
Mail Stop: MS2141
It is the mission of the Texas Tech equine programs to provide students with educational and leadership opportunities through extensive study, research, and hands on experiences in all aspects of the equine industry. With courses and teams focusing on management, reproduction, horsemanship, evaluation, ranching, rodeo, therapy, and safety, we strive to enrich the future of the equine industry by producing industry leaders.
The equestrian center's objective is to provide a home for the different equine programs at Texas Tech, and to ensure that the students involved get plenty of hands on experience within all aspects of the horse industry. We strive to provide opportunities of leadership, knowledge and personal development for students, youth, and non-collegiate adults through equine-related activities. In addition, we want to provide a first rate venues for quality equine events of all disciplines.
Davis College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
AddressP.O. Box 42123, Lubbock, Texas 79409-2123, Dean’s Office Location: Goddard Building, Room 108