Distinguished Alumni Award Nomination Guidelines
The measure of a college's distinction and influence depends greatly upon the achievements of its alumni and the positions they attain in their respective communities and fields of endeavor. To recognize some of the most distinguished alumni of Texas Tech University's Davis College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources, the Distinguished Alumni Awards were established.
Purpose & Philosophy
The purpose of this program is to recognize and honor Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources alumni who have made significant contributions to society, and whose accomplishments and careers have brought distinctive credit to the Davis College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources of Texas Tech University and to the professions associated with agriculture and natural resources.
This program does more than honor those alumni. It spotlights the accomplishments of the college and thereby enhances the pride of alumni, students, faculty and staff. It also presents to the people of Texas and the nation tangible evidence of the effectiveness of agricultural and natural resources programs at Texas Tech University.
To be eligible for the Distinguished Alumni Awards, an individual must:
- Be distinguished in his or her profession, business or other worthy endeavors, and have received recognition from contemporaries.
- Be a person of such integrity, stature, and demonstrated ability that the faculty, students, staff and alumni of the college will take pride in and be inspired by his or her recognition.
- Have demonstrated an interest in community service through volunteerism, civic involvement and shown leadership abilities in other areas.
- Have received a degree from the Davis College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources at Texas Tech.
No member of the Texas Tech University System Board of Regents shall be eligible for the award while serving on the Board, nor may a current member of the faculty or staff of the college be selected to receive the award.
- Awards will be made annually.
- Each individual selected as a Distinguished Alumni must be present at the conferring of the award. If the recipient is not able to attend the program, the award will be differed one year, pending availability to attend the program.
- The number of awards may vary from year to year but generally will not exceed six during one year.
Nomination & Selection
- Nominations for the award may be made by any individual.
- Nomination forms may be obtained by writing to the Office of the Dean of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Attn: Tracee Murph, Box 42123, Lubbock, Texas 79409-2123, and should be returned to the same address when completed.
- Previous Outstanding Young Alumni award winners may be nominated for a Distinguished Alumni award.
- Selection of the recipients of the Distinguished Alumni Awards is made by recommendation of the college faculty and administration to the dean.
- At all stages of the selection procedure, the discussion of possible recipients shall be deemed to be a confidential matter.
Announcement, Time & Place of Presentation
The award will be presented on the campus of Texas Tech on a date in the spring semester. The Office of the Dean will announce the names of the recipients after they have been contacted and have agreed to be present to receive the award.
Davis College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
AddressP.O. Box 42123, Lubbock, Texas 79409-2123, Dean’s Office Location: Goddard Building, Room 108