Capitol Idea: CASNR interns spend summer learning the ropes in Washington
Four students from Texas Tech's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources will be spending their summer working as interns in the nation's capital. Running from the end of May through the first of August, the college's summer intern program affords selected students an opportunity to experience first-hand the government's day-to-day operations.
"Intern selections are always an exciting and difficult process," said Lori Dudley, the coordinator of student development in the college's Dr. Bill Bennett Student Success Center. "The program is one of the most unique student programs that the college has for CASNR students."
This year's CASNR summer interns include:
- Savannah Leonard, a junior agricultural communications major from Sonora; Congressman Mike Conaway (R-TX 11)
- Kody Lucherk, a senior animal science major from McCoy; Congressman Henry Cuellar (D-TX 28)
- Cade Luckett, a junior animal science major from Matador; House Agriculture Committee (majority office)
- Loni Woolley, a senior animal science major from Grandview; American Meat Institute
CASNR interns live in the "Tech House" during their stay in Washington D.C., which is located just over a block from the Capitol Building. Their living expenses are offset through scholarships from generous donors, including the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Texas Corn Producers Board, Plains Cotton Growers, Texas Corn Growers, Texas Peanut Producers, Dan Taylor, Texas Farm Bureau, and South Texas Cotton and Grain, as well as others.
Written by Norman Martin
CONTACT: Lori Dudley, Coordinator of Student Development, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742.2808 ext. 283 or firstname.lastname@example.org
0515NM12 / PHOTO: (clockwise from top left) Kody Lucherk, Savannah Leonard, Loni Woolley and Cade Luckett
Editor's Note: For additional information about the CASNR Government Intern Program, click http://www.depts.ttu.edu/agriculturalsciences/gov_interns/page1.php
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It